Author Topic: Any advice please!? Jess Johal  (Read 9663 times)

Plicemn1

Re: Any advice please!? Jess Johal
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
Phaedra's Love is essentially a very black comedy about boredom and dissatisfaction. Release only comes with death and mayhem. The play's key line is its last: "Vultures - if only there had been more moments like this."  I think there are parallels there with Sarah's life. All her (as with all great writers) work is intensely personal and I think that to understand the writer and her work it is worth thinking about her own experiences of religion, her family (particularly her father's job) her dangerously early success (and the reaction to it from the media) and her undimmed, untamed anger - at what precisely it is often hard to know? ..... after she died her agent Mel Kenyon described her death as 'existential'...... at the timee that struck me as idiotic. Now - with distance I think that is about right. 

Drama is only worth persuing as a career if you are driven. But don't give up on the A level! Good luck.

Offline archive

Re: Any advice please!? Jaidn
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
Have you tryed looking at the influence of Bond and Beckett on Sarah's work that is always a intresting angle. Though you shouldn't drop drama, it's better than styding to get a office job...

Archvie 31-3-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:48:36 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Any advice please!? Jess Johal
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »
Hey all, I am a 6th form drama student, and my practical exam is in 3 weeks and I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown! Practically its not too bad although there is something that hasnt clicked and we are waiting for it, but my portfolio seems to be a never ending problem that I simply cant overcome. The piece is based on a lot of Artaudian thoughts and we watched Sarah Kane's Phaedra's Love, intruiged. We also had a school production 'Blood Wedding' of which I played the bride and loved because it escaped the average musical production that schools usually put on. I must admit that although I am enjoying the course, I may drop it next year, its so much hard work, but I darent tell my teachers as I know that they will be disappointed. I wnat to get around it and my portfolio but it seems impossible! I know that I have ranted a little, but I hope that you have some advice.

Thanks. Jess. xxx
Archive 31-3-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:48:21 PM by Iain Fisher »