Author Topic: About the title "Phaedra's Love" Yuka Aihara  (Read 8869 times)

Offline archive

Re: About the title "Phaedra's Love" Yuka Aihara
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »
Dear Jess, Thank you for replying my question. Yes, I agree with you totally. However, in Japanese language, there is no word which means "love(feeling)" and "the be loved (person)." In the interview, as it says, Sarah wanted to underline the object of Phaedra's love rather than the emotion itself. So, if I do the translation in Japanese, I have to choose either of them, and I will take the "Phaedra's beloved" title. It is a shame that the magic of dual meaning does not work in different language sometime. Yet, it is the fun part, too, straggling on finding a better expression.

Archive 16-4-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:45:04 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: About the title "Phaedra's Love" Jess Cully
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 07:55:27 PM »
Probably she meant it to be open to being interpreted either way - I have to admit I always thought of it as meaning her love (feeling).

Archive 16-4-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:44:46 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

About the title "Phaedra's Love" Yuka Aihara
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
I have a question on translating the title, "Phaedra's love." Since the first time reading the book, I have thought the title meant "Phaedra's love(feeling)". But When I read the book by Graham Saunders, Sarah did mean it rather "Phaedra's love(d one)= Hippolytus". Is it something everyone understands automatically from reading in the first time? Because, I still think the title, "Phaedra's love(feeling)" still makes sense, too. What do you think?

Archive 15-4-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:44:27 PM by Iain Fisher »