Author Topic: Woman in Black  (Read 3577 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Woman in Black
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
They should have let him do one of the "Harry Potter" films. That'd have been a riot and some much needed exposure for Ken.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Woman in Black
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
According to this article Ken said the play Women in Black "wasn’t up to much and would close within the week".  I like the article because they call Ken "the late, great Ken Russell".
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9041902/Susan-Hill-haunted-by-the-Woman-in-Black.html

But I disagree with Ken.  The novel by Susan Hill was genuinely frightening, a hommage to Wilkie Collins' "Woman in White".  And the play- when I heard it was going to be a play I couldn't see how they could possibly stage it.  I have seen the play three times, loved each time.  The play is (just like Ken) faithful to the original but goes beyond. The audience are screaming in terror in the last half.

And now it is a film with Harry Potter.  Not seen it yet but looking forward to it.  And also in a couple of years watching the play again which has been playing in London since 1989 (though it is trailing behind The Mousetrap playing non-stop in London since 1952.