Author Topic: The Big Lebowski  (Read 3435 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: The Big Lebowski
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »
Best role for Wayne in a Russell film? I'd think it'd have to be one of Ken's films that supposedly takes place here in the U.S., which narrows the number of choices. For me, it'd have to be "Crimes of Passion" with Wayne playing the part of Donny Hopper, the part played y Bruce Davison in the film, or I should say an older version of Donny Hopper.

Wayne did make one film set in London. Did you ever see 1975's "Brannigan?" Wayne plays a Chicago policeman, who has come to London to take back an American criminal wanted in Chicago.

And while in London, Wayne encounters misunderstandings with the London police, including Richard Attenborough and Judy Geeson, a hired killer, who wants him dead, kidnappers, a car chase through the streets of London, and instead of a western bar brawl, a London pub punchup.

And only in a film can you see the Houses of Parliament from New Scotland Yard.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:36:59 AM »
"Superman, if only because I'd love to see John Wayne as "The Man of Steel." His portrayal of Clark Kent is what I'd think would be problematic."

Agreed.  He will have the glasses and ill-fiting suit, but playing Clark Kent... no way.

Best role for John Wayne in a Ken Russell film?  Almost inconceivable.  The doctor in Tommy (replacing Jack Nicholson) maybe.  Alma Mahler's lover in Mahler?  No.

Lets go for broke, John Wayne playing Delius in Song of Summer.  Did James Cagney play composer Rimsky-Korsakov in a film, I have a vague feeling he did though I haven't seen it and can't find any reference to it.  If so maybe it isn't so wild an idea.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »
I don't know if "The Big Lebowski" works with the new cast. Of course, I say this never having seen "The Big Lebowski," and I might think differently if I had seen the film.

Actually, I don't think most of the films would work, but here are the ones that I think would work with the new cast.

"Drive"
"Superman," if only because I'd love to see John Wayne as "The Man of Steel." His portrayal of Clark Kent is what I'd think would be problematic.
"For Special Services."
But the film that I think would work best of all with the new cast is "Unbreakable."

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Big Lebowski
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Not real but an article on "What if those modern blockbusters were made in the 1950s? Artist imagines their posters and who would star in them".  Ken directing Zappa, Bowie and Iggy Pop alongside Kinski, Warhol and Clint Eastwood.  If only...

The others posters are pretty good too.

The article is here
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2089807/Avatar-Inception-Movie-posters-recreated-1950s.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:34:21 PM by Iain Fisher »