Author Topic: Helen Mirren (not) on Savage Messiah  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Stranger and stranger
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
I did a search on the writer Brad Balfour and this is his article on Ken in New York
(from here www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-balfour/legendary-director-ken-ru_b_665790.html, Brad Balfour 20 Jul 2010, Huffington Post).

Brad, you confuse me, but your words below, echo my thoughts:

"One of the greatest directors of all time, the 83-year-old Ken Russell, is enjoying a retrospective at the Lincoln Center Film Society, Russellmania, starting this weekend going on through August 5th. This is one filmmaker who pushed the envelope both creatively and professionally -- and in many ways changed both the face of cinema, inspiring many of my generation both aesthetically and personally,

Not only will nearly all of his best films be screened there -- from some of my favorites such as The Devils (1971) and Savage Messiah (1972) -- but some of his most widely acclaimed films such as his Oscar-winning Women in Love (1969) and his extravagant version of The Who's Tommy (1975) will get a proper showing again.

More importantly, the eccentric British filmmaker will also make an extended appearance here, spending six nights providing conversations with the audience about several of his most memorable and provocative films. Tonight, he discusses his experiences in making The Devils...

...Another one of those fascinating cinematic re-imaginings, Lisztomania, will have Russell on hand this coming Wednesday August, 4th.   ...Finally, on Thursday August 5th, the Film Society will show his incredible visual fantasy version of the Who's landmark rock opera...

But I wish someone would explain why Warner Bros. refuses to release "The Devils" on DVD in the US, after threatenin­g (promising­) to many times. Or "Listzoman­ia", or "The Music Lovers", or "Mahler", or "Savage Messiah", or "The Boyfriend" etc. etc.

What in the world is going on?? Don't tell me the "estate" of Tchaikovsk­y can keep "The Music Lovers" from seeing the light of day? I've been telling friends about many of these films for decades, but my worn out VHS copies recorded off the Z Channel back in the day hardly do them justice."

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:41:46 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Helen Mirren (not) on Savage Messiah
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
From an interview of Helen Mirren by Brad Balfour, 26 Dec 2010.  Very disappointing.

www.huffingtonpost.com/brad-balfour/oscar-winning-dame-helen_b_801380.html

His biting questions include "What were some of your favorite costumes?" and "Which gun was the most fun to handle?" and has the insight "Often in films Russians are depicted as villains."

The part on Ken is:

"Q: How long ago was it since you saw Savage Messiah -- which came out in 1969?

HM: Actually, I don't think I've ever seen Savage Messiah. The day I had to do that nude scene... I have this nude scene and have to walk completely bollock naked -- as we say in England -- down a flight of stairs. And it was early day and that sort of thing; I was so mortified and embarrassed.

I remember that morning looking out of my trailer, a funky little caravan thing, and wondering if I threw myself off of the top step of the trailer if I could manage to break my leg and not have to shoot the scene. I was just sounhappy about it.
So I don't think I ever saw it, actually. I can't remember the name of the character now. I was a bra-burning suffragette at the turn of the century. It's about an artist [Henri Gaudier-Brzeska], and is [directed by the legendary transgressive] Ken Russell."

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:40:18 PM by Iain Fisher »