Author Topic: Glenda Jackson  (Read 35020 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Glenda Jackson MP
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:56 PM »
It is the smallest majority in parliament, but she did keep her seat when according to the general swing she should have lost it.  I also seem to be in a Labour heartland because in the local council elections Labour doubled their seats and took control.

Andrew Faulds is another Ken Russell actor who became a Labour MP, from 1966 to 1997.  He was in The Music Lovers along with Glenda, also The Devils, Mahler and playing Strauss in Lisztomania.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Glenda Jackson MP again
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
Glenda won by 42 votes.  It was so close there was a recount.

Glenda Jackson         Labour                                   17,332  32.8%     -3.5%
Chris Philp                Conservative                          17,290  32.7%     +9.8%
Edward Fordham        Liberal Democrat                     16,491  31.2%     -4.0%
Bea Campbell            Green                                        759    1.4%     -3.2%
Magnus Nielsen         UK Independence Party                 408    0.8%    +0.1%
Victoria Moore          British National Party                     328    0.6%    +0.6%
Tamsin Omond          Tamsin Omond To The Commons     123    0.2%    +0.2%
Gene Alcantara         Independent                                 91    0.2%    +0.2%

Majority                                                                    42     0.1%
Turnout         52,822       66.3%    +10.4%

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
If she does win, it looks like she may be part of a minority government, as according to the last polls, that I saw here in the U.S., the Conservatives were slated to take the majority of the seats in Parliament.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
It is the British election today so I just voted for Glenda.  I got a kick from doing it- maybe I shuld have kept the ballot paper, but that would defeat the purpose...

She has a small majority of 500 votes to defend, so she will be lucky to get through.  We will see in a few hours.

Iain

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
Plus Salome, The Secret Life of Arnold Bax (Ken's best acting role and Glenda's last acting role), The Boyfriend, The Music Lovers...

You are right. I had forgotten about "Salome," after I had posted my reply. Then seeing your reply, I see that I had forgotten so many of the other films she had made with Ken.
I guess that "Women in Love" and "Rainbow" stand out from her other roles for me, and why, I just don't know.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
Plus Salome, The Secret Life of Arnold Bax (Ken's best acting role and Glenda's last acting role), The Boyfriend, The Music Lovers...

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »
Ask her how it was to work with Ken, as she made at least two films with him, "Rainbow" and "Women in Love?"

Offline regal26

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
I wonder if she's read Ken's articles in the Times?

She's got a tough election this year...and Tamsin Omond doesn't help.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Glenda Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »
In Britain every so often the political boundaries are changed, to take account of moving populations.  This means that my local MP is now... Glenda Jackson.  I just got a leaflet from her (well from her party) showing her standing down the road from me.

I hope she comes canvassing. What questions can I ask her?

I hope she wins the next election, shortly.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:19:04 PM by Iain Fisher »