Author Topic: Aria  (Read 9826 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Aria
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
I don't think we need new music, as the old music was more than acceptable, but it is nice to see that Ken inspired so many artists and continues to inspire, even after his death.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Aria new music
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Ken's Aria with new music.  Not authorised but interesting, though a pity it finishes early

http://charliejones.net/ken-russell/

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Aria: Special Edition on June 15th!!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »
An interesting film. I remember the first segment. Maybe because it was the first. I remember Buck Henry being in it, but that's all I remember about that segment. I remember Bridget Fonda's segment, which is probably my second favorite of the ten. And I, of course, remember Ken's segment, which is my favorite of the ten. But, all the others seem to run together and leave no memories for me. Is that why there was never a sequel to it? Because I'd actually like to see a second one done. Fellini is dead, but here are ten more directors I'd like to see involved in a second one.

Woody Allen for the comedy
Dario Argento for the foreign element
Ralph Bakshi for the animation
Tim Burton for the wierdness
Roger Corman for the operatic Poe
Terry Gilliam for the fantasy
Spike Lee for the minority element
David Lynch for "Blue Velvet"
Martin Scorsese for being Martin
John Waters for the outrageousness

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »
The Telegraph says of Aria "Ken Russell does something repellently tasteless with 'Nessun dorma'”.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturecritics/rupertchristiansen/5623120/Aria-DVD-review.html

Sigh.

Iain

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »
Really, I agree. One of Ken's best films. And of the ten directors on the film, I like Ken's the best.

Offline Massi DC

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:02:34 AM »
Very kind of you, thank you.
I love this movie, so i will surely buy it, for the widescreen transfer and for the documentary
(i suppose the stills gallery is the same of the american dvd)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:12:54 AM »
PS no subtitles, but there is little to no dialogue in the films.  It would have been nice to have subtitles on the commentary and documentary.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:38:19 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:11:23 AM »
Hi Massi,

The DVD has an extra cardboard box which the DVD and case slides into.  Well designed but there is no booklet.

On the DVD:
- the original films- as on the previous DVD release each film now starts with the title and name of the director- this wasn't on the video
- original trailer, not bad actually
- a stills gallery for each film.  For Ken's film there were around 20 including some of Ken directing.  Generally stills galleries are a waste of space for me, but I liked these (though I won't be looking at them too often)
- commentary by producer Don Boyd.  "Ken Russell seems never to relate his art to the real world, he seems to be constantly inspired by metaphorical images".  Good to hear an intelligent discussion of Ken's work.
- "Composing Aria" about making the film (45 mins) with the producer and all the directors.  Interestingly Fellini was going to be one of the directors but he became ill.  A quiet spoken Ken talks about his part in the film.  Particularly good is the producer who gives an amazing insight into how Ken works, well worth seeing, though it is also covered in the commentary.  Ken says "I was given full reign".

Technical:
- Ratio 16:9 anamorphic widescreen
- Audio LPCM Stereo
- PAL colour
- Region 2

From memory the images seem clearer than the previous DVD release, but I haven't dug out my old version to check.

Does this help?  If you like Ken's work the commentary is worth it.

Iain

Offline Massi DC

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »
Hi,
this is Massi from Italy.
Mr Fisher could you please give a review of this new release of Aria?
Technical specs, extras, subtitles...
I own the Lightyear Video dvd (the one in fullscreen) and i'm still not sure wether to buy this r2 release too or not.
Thank you so much

Massi

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:56:51 PM »
It arrived today.  I played my favourite bits including of course the Ken one.  His piece is one of my favourite Ken films (even though it is short).  I haven't listed to the commentary yet, looking forward to it.

Iain

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »
Amazon says my copy is on its way.  The fourth time I have paid for it (in the cinema, on VHS, on DVD and the new DVD).  Every time it has been worth it.  I can't wait.

Iain

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:36:14 PM »
You can see Aria in the BFI in London on 9 June and Ken will be there!!

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 12:08:06 AM »
And I forgot the segment with Bridget Fonda directed by Franc Roddam.  The end with the car moving in and out of shadow...

Iain

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
Really good news.  Ken's segment is one of my favourite Ken films.  Other segments I really liked were those by Robert Altman, Jean-Luc Godard and Charles Sturridge (who I hadn't heard off before).

And there is a commentary, I can't wait.

Iain

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:05:20 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Donald McKinney

Aria
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »
A labour of love for producer Don Boyd, (best known for producing Scum (1979), The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle (1980) and Honky Tonk Freeway (1981)), this was a mammoth project, which was huge in terms of ambition and even scale. Boyd got in 10 of the most visually brilliant directors working at the time (mid-1980's), and he asked each of them to take an operatic piece of their choosing, and using their imaginative genius. Create a film to go with the aria of that particular operatic piece. The resulting film was Aria (1987), an arts film, but a visually compelling piece. It's finally coming to DVD!! :D

The 10 directors each assigned to create a short film for this whole piece were Robert Altman, Derek Jarman, Jean-Luc Godard, Julien Temple, Charles Sturridge, Bruce Beresford, Bill Bryden, Franc Roddam with Nicolas Roeg and Ken Russell!! :D These 10 directors brought their interpretations of operatic arias from composers such as Giuseppe Verdi, Richard Wagner, Ruggero Leoncavallo and Giacomo Puccini to life in their own unique ways. A good (mainly female) cast is spread across the 90 minute film, including Theresa Russell, Beverly D'Angelo, Liz Hurley, Bridget Fonda, Buck Henry, Julie Hagerty, Tilda Swinton and John Hurt!! :D

It's been unavailable for years, but it's coming to DVD for the first time in this country on June 15th!! The special features include...

'Composing Aria': Documentary featuring interviews with Producers and Directors

Commentary by Producer Don Boyd

Stills Gallery

Theatrical Trailer

This should make for a good blend for those who like arty cinema and classical music. With a brilliant selection of directors on this film, it should be irresistable. (Woody Allen and Federico Fellini were also asked to contribute a piece each, but couldn't make the schedule.) Nearly every director on board with this film has made films involving music, Altman did Nashville, Roeg did Performance, Julien Temple did The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, and Uncle Ken... well, we all know what he's done!! ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:32:04 PM by Iain Fisher »