Author Topic: Info for Sarah Kane site  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Info for Sarah Kane site
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
Hi Laura,

An interesting mail.  I hadn't heard of BDI before, and I am sure it was an influence on Kane.

The link you gave seems to have moved. I did a quick search to see if I could find it elsewhere but didn't succeed.

I hope you are coping with your depression, and please give us more insights.

Iain

Laura

Info for Sarah Kane site
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:11:34 AM »
I am new to Sarah Kane's work. I saw a production of 4.48 Psychosis at a local college a few months ago, and began researching her obsessively. While I wouldn't say that I'm a "fan" of her work at this point, I find it very fascinating, and 4.48 Psychosis has inspired me in a way that nothing else has in a long time.

Sadly, part of the reason I like Psychosis so much (and the topic of mental illness in art and literature) is because, to some degree, I can relate to it. I've had issues with depression for most of my life. Recently I had to complete a test called the BDI, which apparently stands for "Beck Depression Inventory." As I was reading it, the order and phrasing of the items sounded very familiar. "I am sad all the time." "I feel my future is hopeless and will only get worse." "I feel I am a total failure as a person."

I found this version of the BDI through a Google Search. It's slightly different than the version I took, but this is actually closer to what's written in the Psychosis text.
www.fehb.org/CSE/CCSEConference2012/BeckDepressionInventory.pdf

I think it's safe to say that Kane was referencing this - or at least influenced by it - in her writing of 4.48 Psychosis.

Anyway, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but just in case it hasn't, I wanted to contribute this to the (rather scarce) knowledge base about Sarah's work. Thanks for your site.

Laura