Author Topic: Woyzeck  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Woyzeck
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »
Hi M,

On the discussion forum there is a posting by Simon Kane (brother) who says that much of the material from the monologues ended up in the plays.

I can't find the video on the V&A site.  You could try emailing or phoning (I suspect email is the best)

V&A Collections: Theatre
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7942 2723
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7942 2733
E-mail: tmenquiries@vam.ac.uk

Let us know how it goes.

Iain

M

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
I too am writing a PhD on Kane, or trying to begin, at least. I wondered how one accesses the V&A archive? Is it difficult? I suspect there is no available access to the first three monologues she wrote and performed/directed at the Edinburgh Festival? Any information regarding the unpublished pieces of her work would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
I'm pretty certain the V&A archive did have a video of one of the Kane original productions (can't remember which- Cleansed???).   The videos are not for sale, but students can consult.  But the last time I checked their catalogue there wasn't any mention.

My guess is that over time Kane would have relented to a television director with a real vision of how to film her work.  I would also love to hear Crave as a radio play.

Matt Roberts

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 05:26:34 AM »
So sorry I did not answer this sooner. I just recently checked this listserv, having forgotten about it while in the midst of writing on Kane. As Malmo58 says, Kane did not want her productions videotaped because she felt that to do so would undermine the fact that her plays were written for theatre and that there was something specific to witnessing them as produced in theatre that contributed to one's reaction/reception of the plays. She seemed to be consistent in this bias, believing in the power of live theatre and rejecting other means (particularly video) to reproduce that which occurred when her plays were produced in the theatre. I don't have the reference in front of me, but I do remember reading this in the files on Kane over at the V&A Theatre and Performance Archive. Of course, Kane's allergy to having her play's videotaped may frustrate researchers (though the V&A archive does have several photos and blue prints of sets, etc), but there is something about this sentiment that I find consistent to Kane's work. Consequently, I appreciate her decision, even if it means the closest things I have to seeing the world premier of a Kane play are photocopies of very small positives.

Offline Giovanni Covelli

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »
Hi Matt
i'm intresting to talk with you but i canìt find your e-mail, can you send to me?

Offline malmo58

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
I believe it's because she regarded her work as being crafted exclusively for the theatre and so did not consider other media to be appropriate for it.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
Hi Matt,

Give us all a clue.  There are lots of people who would be interested.

Iain

Matt Roberts

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »
A nice to meet a fellow scholar working on Sarah Kane for their doctorate.  I doubt you will find any video recordings of the Woyzeck Kane directed because she did not allow her work to be videotaped.  For more info on why, email me.

Best,
Matt Roberts

Offline Giovanni Covelli

Woyzeck
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
Hi to all.
I'm doing my PhD studies about Sarah Kane.
I have a question.
It exist a video of the Woyzeck directed By Sarah Kane? and if this video exist where can i view it?
Exist another material in video by Kane??
I know that the first production of Psychosis are at theatrum museum of London.
And in the british Library are the audios  of crave, cleansed and blasted, but it exist any video?
Thaks for all.