Author Topic: Glenda Jackson on actors and politicians  (Read 4732 times)

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Glenda Jackson on actors and politicians
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
Bono is known here as a singer/ songwriter, part of Sonny and Cher.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:47:08 PM »
I'll chase The Killers.  I remember the Ernest Hemmingway short story which was great, but from what I looked up there is little of Hemmingway left in the film- Ken always left the heart of the source in his films, such as the DH Lawrence films.

Could Ken have filmed The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway?  It would be interesting to have seen his attempt.

Ken directing Ronald Reagan, or Arnie?  I can't see it- Arnie opposite Oliver Reed.  Glenda Jackson in Terminator, no way.

Interesting suggestion about Ken and Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea." It's been a short subject, a TV movie, but only once was it ever turned into a theatrical film. That was in 1958 with Spencer Tracy in the title role. Maybe it has been filmed so few times is because basically it is an one person film--The Old Man--taking place in one location--The Sea. How would Russell handle something so limited?

And here is another actor turned politician. Republican Congressman Sonny Bono from California. And I agree most of them are fairly obscure unless you are a fan of old movies and/or a political junkie from California.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
I'll chase The Killers.  I remember the Ernest Hemmingway short story which was great, but from what I looked up there is little of Hemmingway left in the film- Ken always left the heart of the source in his films, such as the DH Lawrence films.

Could Ken have filmed The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway?  It would be interesting to have seen his attempt.

Ken directing Ronald Reagan, or Arnie?  I can't see it- Arnie opposite Oliver Reed.  Glenda Jackson in Terminator, no way.

Offline regal26

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
Fred Thompson is probably best known for playing an airport administrator in 'Die Hard 2.'

As for Ronald Reagan, he was essentially known as a second-tier leading man for the studios during the 1940's. A good curio to check out is his last acting gig in Don Siegel's 1964 film 'The Killers' (itself a remake of a 1946 film with Burt Lancaster). I think it's one of the few times in his career that he played a villain. It's not great (the earlier film is far superior), but it's got Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes, and Angie Dickinson, so it's not all bad.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
Schwarzenegger has done good work, namely Terminator, Terminators and Predator.  And some good other films.

I've never seen a Ronald Reagan film, and unless someone recommends one I doubt I will be looking for one.

I've not heard of the others (but the Brit Andrew Faulds is hardly well known either).

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »
Interesting and thanks.

We have our own actors turned politican here in the U.S. Interesting enough, while most actors are Democrats, most of those who have turned politician have been Republicans. Though, most of them are associated with California.

Fred Grandy who played Gopher on "The Love Boat"
George Murphy
Ronald Reagan
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Fred Thompson who has gone back to acting.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Glenda Jackson on actors and politicians
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Glenda Jackson interviewed by Matt Trueman in The Guardian, 22 January 2013.

"Politicians wouldn't cut it in professional theatre...The kind of behaviour you saw in parliament would not be tolerated for 30 seconds in a professional theatre... Essentially, there's a lack of professionalism, very poor timekeeping, a great deal of wasting time, and egos the size of which I've never seen in my life before."

The article is here:
www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013/jan/22/glenda-jackson-mps-theatre

Incidentally Andrew Faulds also became an MP. He acted with Glenda in The Music Lovers (he played Davidov).  Two Labour MPs in one film!

Iain