Author Topic: The 25 Greatest Movies Never Made  (Read 3578 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: The 25 Greatest Movies Never Made
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
Quite a cast for "Dracula," but as much as I'd like to have seen another film by Ken, "Dracula" has been done so many times before and since. Instead, we get his take on another Stoker novel "Lair of the White Worm," which is unique in the history of films, as it had never been done before, and despite calls to remake it. It has never been done since. Though, the question I have on "Dracula," would it be a period piece, or would Ken update it to modern times like his version of "Lair of the White Worm?"

As for the others . . .

It may be 2nd best, but we did get a version of Conrad's "Nostromo," which I must admit I can barely remember, as a TV production.

And I don't know how to tell Nick Cave this, but how do you make a sequel to a film, when the hero, the Gladiator, dies at the end of the 1st film?

But the one I'd most like to see would have been Hitchcock's film. I'm always up for a film from Hitchcock.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The 25 Greatest Movies Never Made
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:41:04 PM »
The 25 Greatest Movies Never Made

Stanley Kubrick’s “Napoleon”
Werner Herzog’s “The Conquest of Mexico”

Ken Russell’s “Dracula”
”My Dracula would be a philanthropist with a taste for the blood of genius,” Russell is quoted as saying in “Altered States: The Autobiography of Ken Russell.”

In the 1970s, Ken Russell had more number-one hit films in Britain than any filmmaker and the world was his oyster. Written between “Tommy” and “Altered States,” Russell set his eyes on “Dracula,” which reportedly began as a ballet, and wrote several screenplay drafts. His regular muse Oliver Reed was eyed for Dracula and the cast could have included Peter Ustinov, Peter O’Toole, Mick Fleetwood, Sarah Miles, Mia Farrow, Lucy Michael York , James Coburn and/or many others. The count was said to have been a Byronic anti-hero. "If you had lived for centuries would you go weak at the knees at a picture of a dull clerk’s fiancée and lock yourself away in a gloomy castle? I wouldn’t. I’ve come up with a reason why Dracula would want to live forever," Russell once wrote.

Clair Noto’s “The Tourist”
David Lynch’s “Ronnie Rocket”
Alain Resnais/Stan Lee collaboration
David Cronenberg's “Frankenstein”
Orson Welles’ “Heart of Darkness”
Tim Burton's "Superman Lives"
Robert Bresson's “Genesis”
Martin Scorsese's “Gershwin”    John Travolta was going to play Sinatra
Terrence Malick's "The English Speaker"
Alfred Hitchcock's “Kaleidoscope”
Andrei Tarkovsky’s “The Idiot”
Paul Verhoeven’s “Crusade” with Arnold-Schwarzenegger
Salvador Dali’s“Giraffes on Horseback Salad” with the Marx Brothers
Sergio Leone’s “Leningrad: The 900 Days”
Francis Ford Coppola’s “Megalopolis”
Louis Malle's “Moon Over Miami” with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.
The Nick Cave-scripted “Gladiator 2”
Steven Spielberg's “Night Skies”
David Fincher’s “Torso”
“A Confederacy Of Dunces”
Ridley Scott’s “Blood Meridian”
David Lean's “Nostromo”  produced by Steven Spielberg

The article is here:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the-25-greatest-movies-never-made-20140325?page=1#blogPostHeaderPanel