Author Topic: My Interpretatation of Kane  (Read 5723 times)

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: My Interpretatation of Kane
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
Jack,

Thanks for this which was interesting.  I agree childhood and religious upbringing affect the way people perceive the world, and the way they get round any problems from these makes people intersting.

Kane was angry at many things, such as the killings in Bosnia, one of the negative things you mention, though she also had visions of what is beautiful and funny.

Good plays are open to many interpretations and Crave being four aspects of Kane is an attractive theory.  Someone I talked to about Crave thought all the characters were dead which was also interesting.   Seeing the play in the original staging (four chairs facing the audience) and different stagings also affects your thoughts on the play as well.

What is your favourite part of the play?

Iain

Jack Pizer

My Interpretatation of Kane
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »
I am currently taking A level performing arts and my first repertoire piece was "Crave" by Kane which was most peculiar. I read the play many times before our group began devising. Kane is widely performed all over the UK but i wanted to put my own markings on the play so i did not watch any other adaptions of the play. I believe that in the script Kane emphasises her physical needs. Her thoughts on sex our very different to anyone elses in my opinion, and i think she expressed this through "Crave".

From research i found that she had a troubled childhood, this many psychologists believe effects adulthood and her religious upbringing could have added to her difficulties. I think that Kane never fully expressed one emotion at a time too, her mind was boggled with many negative things and i believed that the characetrs in "Crave" were like this too. They could have even been one person, perhaps four aspects of herself, who knows.

JP