Author Topic: a collage- sven  (Read 7809 times)

Offline archive

Re: a collage- Jess Cully
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »
And a link to 'Satan, I am yours' ?

Archive 18-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:05:33 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: a collage- Iain
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »
Sven,

You have been busy and very thorough!!

A collage is a good description of one facet of the play. I´m sure that Kane did put in many of the quotes you give, because they fitted the emotion she wanted to convey. But one aspect of a collage can be randomness, the way beat writers often mixed sentences at randon- I´m certain she did not do this.

Other metaphors I have heard of the play are comparisons to music, a string quartet etc.

To add anotber quote to your list: do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law (the end of the play) is a famous quote from satanist Aleister Crowley, maybe to counteract the bible quotes.

Iain

Archive 13-12-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:05:16 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

a collage- sven
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »
I've always seen Crave as schizophrenic monologue. One of the reasons of this is probably that the first time I saw the play, it was in dutch in Brussels, they did the text in less than 40 minutes. But more, when I'm reading the English text I've get the feeling Sarah has written a kind of collage of the things (books, cd's)that were near to her at that moment. If I look only to the sentences and forget the dialogue for a moment, I've found a lot of similar sentences in my own cd-collection.

A few examples: - Don'tlook into the sun, don't look into the sun. (R.E.M) - There is something in the way.(Nirvana) - Rape me (Nirvana) - sooner or later (Feelies) - No one but you (J. Cale& L. Reed) - One of these days (Cop shoot cop) - free falling (T. Petty) - If you were here (Kent) - Back to life (soul II soul) - Glorious (Breeders) - I'm not fighting for you anymore. (S. Vega) - It comes back to me (Massive Attack) -...

There are also some Old Testament and T.S Eliot quotes.

Are these examples to banal? Am I totally wrong if I think Sarah has written a collage?

Crave is one of my favourit plays. I'm just searching for a new layer.

Greetings to you all, except you Jess (I'm just joking!)

.sven

Archive 16-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:04:58 AM by Iain Fisher »