Author Topic: BBC DVD  (Read 10501 times)

Offline Toner

Re: BBC DVD
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
Hi there

I'm trying to get a copy of the Ken Russell directed Monitor episode 'Pop Goes the Easel' and wondered if you knew of its existence anywhere. I missed it the other night on BBC 4 and now it doesn't seem to be on BBC i player.  I'm an artist and would like a copy for research.

Any pointers would be very helpful

Toner

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
The BBC America Shop now shows no listing for The Dance of the Seven Veils under "Episodes". No reason for me to buy it now; I've seen, taped, or own everything except for Always on Sunday (no interest, really), The Debussy Film, and, of course, Dance.

http://www.bbcamericashop.com/video/ken-russell-at-the-bbc-14696.html

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »

Netflix, the US online DVD rental service, shows a disk available with Song of Summer and Dance of the Seven Veils. It also lists 65 ratings for a total of 1.7 stars (out of five). Since this was released just today, I think someone(s) is slagging the disk on Russell's name alone.

I've noticed things like this before- strange how some people who know virtually none of Ken's work still slag him off.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »
Despite the disappointment on Dance of the Seven Veils the good news is that more of Ken's work is on DVD.  My copy of The Debussy Film was a copy of a damaged film, so no sound for the first 10 minutes, and Isadora was in fog.  Looking forward to seeing clean images of them.

Offline regal26

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:01:39 PM »
According to BBC America, Dance of the Seven Veils was pulled just before release due to rights issues (it must have been
just before because there's a still from Dance of the Seven Veils on the cover art!) Of course, they didn't
elaborate just what those rights were. Most likely it's a question of the specific recordings of Strauss used on the soundtrack as
well as the licensing of the music in the first place.

Still, it's nice to have The Debussy Film and Isadora in any form on DVD and the transfers look good!

Maybe some day...we'll see Dance of the Seven Veils...The Music Lovers...Savage Messiah...The Boy Friend...Lisztomania...Whore...The Devils(?) on DVD.

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:18:08 PM »
Netflix, the US online DVD rental service, shows a disk available with Song of Summer and Dance of the Seven Veils. It also lists 65 ratings for a total of 1.7 stars (out of five). Since this was released just today, I think someone(s) is slagging the disk on Russell's name alone. Bastards. >:(

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:49:21 AM »
Amazon say my copy is on the way. 

I'm waiting to see if Dance of the Seven Veils is actually in the box set before I send Amazon penny one. I've seen a posting or two on other forums, from Britons, saying Veil isn't in the set. You never know, the Strauss Estate could pull a last minute cease-and-desist over here in the States.

Slapavision

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
Grrr the BBC are so stupid. I still have a grudge against them for not passing on the archive of Caravan on Top of the Tops in the 70s to me, let alone everything else which is supposedly 'missing'.

Just got a vhs-rip of Isadora through bittorrent, first time I've seen it, very interesting. It's stupid that only now I'm looking into Ken's other works. Oh also I watched the channel 4 doc on The Devils from 2002 someone posted on YouTube, it's all building me up to form a massive Russell on DVD campaign getting everything how it was originally supposed to be, released on DVD and for the better stuff - Blueray. First stop for me is The Devils and French Dressing - which hopefully I may be able to track down 'Ken Harper's favourite deleted scene'. We'll see, news soon. Btw I can't get in contact with Ken and Elize on the contact they provided me with, I'm going to need some 'extra hands' on forcing the asses in the industry to see sense and do all the redtape needed to be able to make releases.

Best Wishes.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
Amazon say my copy is on the way. 

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
BBC DVD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »
Some of the best and rarest of Ken's work is about to be released on DVD.  The films are The Debussy Film, Dante's Inferno, Always on Sunday, Isadora: The Biggest Dancer in the World, A Song of Summer and the very rare Dance of the Seven Veils.  These are works Ken did for the BBC.

It is a USA release and seems to have got round the Strauss estate embargo on Dance of the Seven Veils.  The release date is 23 Sept 2008.  Thanks to Michael for the info.