Author Topic: Re: Questions. Yes, We Have More Questions  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Questions. Yes, We Have More Questions
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
"What is the next project we can expect from Ken?

(a) a book written by him
(b) a film directed by him
(c) a play or opera directed by him
(d) none of the above or something else"

The answer is... a film (a short).  See details of Aleister Crowley on the site.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
What is the next project we can expect from Ken?

I suspect a book.  Either a novel or collection of essays or on filming.

Ken's age and health means he will not get a mainstream film again, and television is less welcoming with budget cuts and the end of Melvyn Bragg's televsion shows.  He may of course do a homemade film again.

Mainstrean opera is closed- if opera companies want a "new vision" they will look to other directors- Terry Gilliam is doing an opera in the London Colliseum (I have tickets).

Other: something in photography.  A book of his photos would be great, combined with a major photo exhibition.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
Is the auteur theory of filmmaking dead?

Ken is basically the same now as he was when he was making films. So, why isn't he making more films? If he hasn't changed, then the system of making films must have changed. Thus, is the auteur theory of filmmaking dead?

And that's all for this thread.

Next time: Bond vs. Russell

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »
What is the next project we can expect from Ken?

(a) a book written by him
(b) a film directed by him
(c) a play or opera directed by him
(d) none of the above or something else

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
I think Ken can be demanding on actors, so that acting on a Ken film can be frustrating.  But Glenda, Oliver, Murray Melvin, Max Adrian etc all worked with him a lot.

Oliver Reed was typecast as a hammer actor- imdb lists one of his roles in No Love for Johnnie as Man with Bucket on His Head (uncredited).  Then his monitor work with Ken (The Debussy Film) showed his talent.  He also got help from his uncle director Carol Reed with the musical Oliver!.

Glenda was a cult theatre actress (working with Peter Brook) and before Ken her film work was bit parts on television.   She remained a theatre actress as well as a cinema actress, and her work on stage was always great.

As you say Ken does get great performances from non-actors or new actors.  A number of times a subject of one of his documentaries becomes an actor in another film.  And I think Scott Anthony, Imogen Millais Scott, Alita Naughton (French Dressing), Christopher Gable (Song of Summer etc) can be proud of their work with Ken.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
Well, that sucks. The fact that spammers (may they burn in ever eternal fire) like my post, do I take that as a compliment or an insult? But onto the next question.

Is Ken an actor's director? By that I mean, is he able to get a good performance out of his actors? Some say no, but I look at what he has done with . . .

"The Lair of the White Worm"
Amanda Donohoe
Chris Pitt

"Salome's Last Dance"
Imogen Millais-Scott

"Altered States"
William Hurt (his motion picture debut)

"The Boyfriend"
Twiggy (her motion picture debut)

And I say yes. Thus, excluding the Ann-Margarets, the Glenda Jacksons, and the Oliver Reeds, who almost always turn in a good performance, no matter who's directing them, is Ken an actor's Director?

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
If you look at the films it has to be cadet or RAF.

Dance is in a lot of his films, either as a subject (Isadora Duncan) or a memorable scene (Women in Love) and one of Ken's regular actors Christopher Gable is more known as a classical dancer (Sadlers Wells ballet in London).

Ken has also made films on photographers, and his own photography shows his ability to compose a scene.

But you could say that the unhappiness in the cadets/ RAF were one of the things which shaped Ken's drive and vision.  So maybe they had the more lasting effect.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
Which had the LEAST influence on Russell as a director?
(a) merchant marine cadet
(b) member of the RAF
(c) ballet dancer
(d) photographer

To be continued . . .