Author Topic: Amelia and the Angel free with the Observer  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Amelia and the Angel free with the Observer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
Ken on the film from here

www.easycreditcardsuk.com/4197/britains-best-film-directors-show-some-early-promise/

â€śI was 30 at the time, I wanted to get into the film industry and I just thought of this idea. Filming took two weeks and I was very, very fortunate in that I had a brilliant young actress to play the main role of Amelia. Her name was Mercedes Quadros and she was the daughter of an Argentinian diplomat, recommended to me by a friend. I met her, was enchanted by her and her father gave her permission to play the part.

â€śShe was delightful, no trouble at all– as long as I gave her scary whirlwind rides in an old, broken-down Morris 8 I had she was as good as gold. I remember she fell over on the steps of the Albert Memorial at one point and broke her hand, the poor devil. In most of the film, she has her right hand turned away from the camera. I’ve met her again now that she’s grown up. she lives in Argentina, with her kids. she looks back with fond memories.

â€śFunding the film wasn’t a difficulty– it cost peanuts. I didn’t have much money at the time, about ÂŁ100, but that was enough to make the film. When I had finished it, I showed it to Huw Wheldon at the BBC. He got me a job on... Monitor... he wasn’t expecting a film of that sort of quality. it got me into the BBC and launched me on my career, as it were."

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
I managed to stagger home with two shop-fulls of Observers.  The DVD is great and I will post shortly.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
PS details of the offer are here
www.guardian.co.uk/film/signup/2010/sep/21/bfi

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Amelia and the Angel free with the Observer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:22:17 AM »
It seems that the British paper The Observer will have a free DVD of early films by influential films directors.

This includes Ken's magnificent Amelia and the Angel, and also Boy and Bicycle by Ridley Scott, The Burning by Stephen Frears, I'm British But.... by Gurinder Chadha and Where's the Money Ronnie! by Shane Meadows.

If you live outside the UK but want a copy let me know and I will buy the Observer for you (subject to finding enough copies).  It will either be region 2 (UK and Europe) or region free, I don't know which, so it may not work in the USA.

Don't reply here but use this address
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-contact.html

Be quick!!!

Iain

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:16:13 PM by Iain Fisher »