Author Topic: The Devils the play  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: The Devils the play
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
A good production.  The stage looks bare but it was quite sophisticated with a number of entrance points, and actors able to appear above other actors or behind screens looking on.  Well acted by the cast and a good direction.

It was much better than I expected, when I read the play ages ago I thought it was a poor version of Huxley's (very sprawling) book, but on stage it is much more powerful.

Hard to watch it without thinking of Ken's film.  The torture of Grandier was there (audience members were a bit disconcerted) but the actual trial wasn't.  The nuns being possessed was done well (with three nuns) and the trick of the king (identified as such in the play, but Ken suggests this is hidden) using the power of the blood of Christ to end the possession, only to expose it all as fake as there was no blood,

Someone in the audience behind me said before the show it was "about some priest and possessed nuns".  Er, no.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: The Devils the play
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
An interesting staging.
--bare stage.
--costumes a mix of the present and the past.
--minimum makeup.

One wonders, if one sees it, whether one would recognize what parts of the play were an inspiration for Ken.

If anybody sees it, then how about a review.

And I probably should not find this funny, but as an American, I do find it humorous that the registered unemployed can get discounted tickets to see it. Only in the U.K. would they think to do this.

Here's an hope the play will be successful in its limited run.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Devils the play
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
John Whiting's adaptation of Huxley's Devils of Loudun is on in London.  The play was a source for Ken's film along with the Huxley book.

It is on at the Bridewell Theatre from 17-21 March 2015.  Details are here
www.sedos.co.uk/2015/thedevils.htm