Author Topic: Brave New Worlds: A Tribute to Ken Russell August 20-22  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Rosebud

Re: Brave New Worlds: A Tribute to Ken Russell August 20-22
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
I would love to see "Mahler" on the big screen.  I feel like a Ken Russell film can never be fully appreciated unless it is seen in a theater.

I was lucky enough to be at the August 20th screening of "The Devil's" and "Altered States" in Santa Monica, California.  The night began with a short video interview of Ken discussing how he directed Oliver Reed -- his method involved telling Oliver what level of brooding is needed for the scene (brooding one, brooding two, or brooding three).  Ken also talked about how on "Altered States" he purposely shot most of the dialogue scenes with tracking shots and single takes so Paddy Chayefsky couldn't re cut anything.  After "The Devils" was screened Ken as before wouldn't answer the first few questions given by the moderator (director Mick Garris).  Mick joked that he had a feeling this was going to happen, since he was also at the Beverly Hills screening of "Tommy."  However, much to everybodies surprise Ken was pretty open to most of the questions asked by the audience.  Also, once fellow guest Charles Haid started speaking Ken opened up even more.  A funny tidbit was when the interviewer asked Ken about whether he rehearsed with his actors, Mr. Russell responded with a simple, "No."  Once Charles started speaking, he said something like, "I can't speak for "The Devils" but on "Altered States" we rehearsed for six weeks."  Ken then replied by saying something like, "I don't remember that."  Charles also talked about how everyone on the set referred to Ken lovingly as Uncle Ken, which made Lisi Tribble – Ken's wife – smile. 

After the screening of "The Devils" Ken greeted fans and posed for pictures.  Meeting Ken Russell really made my year.

I was also at the screening of "Tommy" and "Lisztomania" After the screening of "Tommy" Ken was even more open to questions from both the moderator – who was from BAFTA I believe – and the audience.  What got the biggest laugh was the moderator mentioned that Ken stated in his article for the times, that "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" was one of his 10 favorite films.

Unfortunately I couldn't go to the screening of "The Music Lovers" and "Women in Love."  Richard Chamberlain was scheduled to be there with Ken.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »
Mahler seems to be shown more at music festivals than in conventional cinemas.  I saw it in Rotterdam as part of the Gergiev Mahler festival, and in London by the Mahler society.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
I find it sad that a theatre can't show Mahler because they can't find a print.

I saw a viewing of Mahler in London where it was projected from the VHS tape!!

Offline Rosebud

Brave New Worlds: A Tribute to Ken Russell August 20-22
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:26:59 AM »
For those people living in, or visiting the Los Angeles Area, there will be a three day, six film tribute to Ken Russell -- August 20-22 at both the Aero and Egyptian theaters.  The films being shown are "The Devils," "Altered States," "Tommy," "Lisztomania," "Women In Love," and "The Music Lovers."  Originally they were going to screen "Mahler," but they couldn't find a print.  Ken is scheduled to make an appearance at all of the screenings.  http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2010/Aero/Ken_Russell_Aero_2010.htm
http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2010/Egyptian/specialevent_AUGUST_ET_2010.htm#TOMMY,