Author Topic: Whilst sitting down to read PHEADRA'S LOVE once more- Springer  (Read 8398 times)

Offline archive

Re: Whilst sitting down to read PHEADRA'S LOVE- Malva Witterkaise
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:31:31 AM »
Kane isnĀ“t crying for help. IĀ“m sorry that your interpretation is so limited. If you canĀ“t empathise with the characters you canĀ“t empathise with Kane cause they are all so intimate linked to her.

"IĀ“m simultaneously Hippolytus and Phaedra, and both tjose things are completely possible, that lethal cynicism coupled with obsessional love for someone who is completely unlovable. And which is completely blind. So everytime I wrote a scene I was writing myself into rather opposite states and what itĀ“s like when these to people come together." Sarah Kane(Love me or kill me. Sarah Kane and the theatre of extremes. p31)

I think a person really have to look at her own dark sides to understand violence in Kanes texts and in the world in general. If you canĀ“t do that you will become either boring or dangerous or just a savage combination of both.

Archive 5-12-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:46:35 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Whilst sitting down to read PHEADRA'S LOVE once more- Hazel
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:30:06 AM »
Cheers Hazel I can appreciate your suggestion. Thats a good ideaology to have I have just finished an essay for university and your breif comment helped in the making of it. Ta! Ill let you know what I get. 10% of the credit goes to you.

Archive 22-11-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:46:12 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Whilst sitting down to read PHEADRA'S LOVE once more
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:19 AM »
i see it that its less that she herself is crying for help and more that she wants to point out to us as readers and audiences what kind of a world we live in...the plays were meant to be read and performed by and to peopl who had not heard of her, they were written to stand alone. Surely we can feel some common disgust with her at the images she gives us to look at.

Archive 20-11-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:45:54 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Whilst sitting down to read PHEADRA'S LOVE once more- Springer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:28:45 AM »
I can totally appreciate what Sarah Kane is doing her work is passionate, intense and sadly an almost too true a reality of humanity. However, I find it extramly difficult to sympathise with any of the charcters as when ever some thing heart gripping happens in the play that I should feel sorrow for the charcters about, all I feel sorrow for is Sarah Kane. All of her plays for me seem to be a big long cry for help displaying her discust with the level humans have allowed themselves to happily sink to.

Any thoughts or suggestions for over coming this please reply.

Springer.

Archive 18-11-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:45:31 PM by Iain Fisher »