Author Topic: Music used in Dante's Inferno  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Apuleius

Re: Music used in Dante's Inferno
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
Just found it. 'The Forgotten Rite' by John Ireland.

Offline Apuleius

Music used in Dante's Inferno
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »
Does anyone know what music is played under the scene in Dante's Inferno where Rossetti is drawing Elizabeth Siddal as she feeds a bird from her tongue?
I've managed to identify Prokofiev's Fiery Angel Symphony, Messiaen's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum, Holst's The Planets and read that Schoenberg's music is featured on the soundtrack, but the identity of the piece I'm particularly  interested in remains mysterious.
I saw the film for the first time a few days ago thanks to the 'Ken Russell at the BBC' dvd. The pleasure of finally seeing this transporting work of art was only marred by the revival of a nagging desire to track down this music. The BBC in their wisdom have, to my knowlege, only shown clips of Dante's Inferno in recent decades, one of which was the scene I mentioned. My first attempt to get hold of a recording of this music, which must have been about 20 odd years ago, ended in total failure.
All I've got is that it sounds a bit like either Vaughan Williams, Debussy or someone who influenced or was influeced by those composers. Maybe Bax or Ravel.
Ken Russell's films have introduced me to so much great music over the years I only wish I could add to the list.
Can anyone help?