Author Topic: actor by Steven Berkoff  (Read 15079 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: actor by Steven Berkoff
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
another question, in the instructions it says that it has a poetic quality and care must be taken with the rhythms. It does rhyme in places...is this correct?

Good questions!!!

Yes this is correct.  Perhaps a sign of good poetry in plays is that you don't notice it.  The rhyme is not line for line, but most of the 14 parts of the play include simple but effective rhyme  "...you're divine...to be really mine" and "my dear... persevere".  This helps the lines flow and it might help to bring out the rhyme slightly in performance, but don't over emphasise it.

Iain

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57:07 PM »

The question is whether he is saying/ playing the parts of the actor and the mother, or whether he is the actor mimicking what the mother says - either after she says it or pre empting her as they have had similar conversations before and he knows what she might say.

I think there is one role on stage, the actor, and when he speaks the mother's words he is mimicking her.  Two of the ways you suggest, after she says it or in parallel predicting what she says, are good ideas and both are valid.

There are tricks to help you playing the actor talking and the actor mimicking, for example putting the pretend phone to the other ear to suggest the other character.  But after a while it is tiresome to always have the phone to the ear so it could be gradually be phased out.  Other methods are of course possible.

Does this seem sensible?  How do you think you will do it?

Iain

Offline red

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »
another question, in the instructions it says that it has a poetic quality and care must be taken with the rhythms. It does rhyme in places...is this correct?

Offline red

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The question is whether he is saying/ playing the parts of the actor and the mother, or whether he is  the actor mimicking what the mother says - either after she says it or pre empting her as they have had similar conversations before and he knows what she might say.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:40 AM »
Hi,

I don't know of anywhere which has this available.  But if you ask questions here I am sure you will get help.
Are you performing it for an audience, or is it part of an exam?

Best wishes

Iain

Offline red

actor by Steven Berkoff
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
Can you advise on where to download, listen to or get direction on the phone conversation to the mother and father in the play ACTOR.

Thanks