Author Topic: Ingrid Pitt dies  (Read 3945 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Ingrid Pitt dies
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
Not much of a surprise really, as she has been reported to be in ill health for some time, but still . . . R.I.P. Ingrid.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Ingrid Pitt dies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
Ingrid Pitt the actress has died.  Her film career spanned a bit part in Dr Zhivago through to Sea of Dust in 2008.  Memorable roles are in Who Dares Wins, The Wicker Man and of course The Vampire Lovers and Countess Dracula.

Here is part of a double interview, Pitt along with horror writer James Herbert, including meeting with Ken Russell.

JAMES HERBERT: “...We didn't really meet until two years ago when I was on Light Lunch with Ingrid and Ken Russell. I was still in awe - they're both legends to me. I spoke to Ingrid in the make-up room and she said, "Oh darling, I've been a fan of yours for so many years." I couldn't believe it - my fantasy figure was a fan of mine! I found out that she'd done a film script of one of my books. Having met for the second time we became very close friends.â€

“...Ingrid's a great writer. When I read her book on vampires [The Ingrid Pitt Bedside Companion for Vampire Lovers- Ken Russell wrote the introduction], I found that it was well-researched, intelligent and witty. There are so many aspects to Ingrid. There's a lot going on in there, a lot of depth, and every time I see her I learn a little more or find out from someone else about another act of kindness. She's had a really tough life - someone should make a movie about it. As a child during the Holocaust she was in a concentration camp with her parents, then they fled to England and went through more hard times. But she's survived it all and isn't in any way bitter. She's a real winner. You can tell I'm slightly in love with her!â€

INGRID PITT: “…We finally met on a television show - I can't remember what it's called. Ken Russell was on it too. Jimmy came into the make-up room, and I said to him, "Fancy meeting you here. Now I know why I did this show!" It was totally divine to meet him in person. We chatted away and found the television show a terrible interruption.â€

Details of her book, with Ken's intro, are here www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-writing-magazines.html

The Independent interview "How we met; James Herbert & Ingrid Pitt" with interviews by Laurence Phelan in The Independent, 30 May 1999
www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/how-we-met--james-herbert--ingrid-pitt-1096974.html