Author Topic: Decadence  (Read 15531 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Decadence
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
Decadence is on at the Lakeside Arts Centre, UK on 17-18 Jun 2011.  "Refreshingly grotesque, Decadence is an acute, vitriolic study of the British class system."

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-news.html

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Decadence in South Africa
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »
Decadence in South Africa

It is at The Old Mutual Theatre on the Square, Johannesburg in South Africa on 12-30 April 2011.  The actors are Emily Child and Scott Sparrow.

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-news.html

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Decadence DVD
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »
Decadence is now on DVD.  Details soon.

Nicola

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »
Wow thanks Iain, that is a great help.  I am sure that I will have plenty of questions to come.  Am going to try and encourage my students to get invloved with some discussion on here as well.

many thanks
Nicola

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Hi Nicola,

Great that you are doing Decadence.  Lucky students!!

There are a couple of links on the plays here
www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-link-play-2.html

Some photos of performance here
www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-photo-decadence.html

There are also two dissertations which include Decadence, one by Craig Rosen and one by Deborah Knight.  Both are worth scanning to find the relevant sections on Decadence, for example (from Knights dissertation):

"The scene depicting the couple’s fully clothed enactment of the hunting woman’s relationship to her horse renders Steve’s desire for subordination quite explicit, while the hold Helen maintains over him is made clear in the way her masterly narratives cater to his preference for reported or simulated sex. Helen’s beautifully seductive but ephemeral smile is shown in the film to be Steve’s heart-gladdening reward, while its constant solidifying into relentless discontent is the whiplash which keeps his wallet, if not his flies, open. The ‘decadence’ here is not of the joyous Bacchanal sort that is supposed to have characterized that of the Roman empire, but of the type that the script depicts as arising from the corporal punishments and gay initiations of all-boys British boarding schools, the impervious smug complacency that is inherited along with admittance into the world’s most prestigious club of hooligans, the House of Lords, and the perverse effects of the women’s financial dependence upon their men being hardly improved by both sexes’ severe upper class sexual repression."

You can find the dissertations here
www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-study.html

Berkoff directed the film of Decadence.  It is available as a video on Amazon
www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-shop.html
but costs just under £60- not worth it.

I hope this helps and you are welcome to please ask more here. Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes

Iain

Nicola

Decadence
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »
Hi all,

I am a teacher of performing arts and am about to embark on a study of Decadence with my students.  It is the AS in Drama and Theatre Studies and it is the first time that I have taught this qualification.  The students need to write about the different elements of the play. Any resources or thoughts that anyone may have would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks
Nicola