Author Topic: The Devils on DVD- official release  (Read 12080 times)

Offline richmond74

Re: The Devils on DVD- official release
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
I've just returned from a holiday in Spain and bought a copy of the film. It's great to see it in 2.35:1 aspect ratio and is a decent print (albeit the ghastly US version - I'd forgotten how mauled it is).

However I noticed an extra cut! It's in the title sequence where the Cardinal is about to cross himself and utter the lines "...and may the Protestant be driven from the land" before cutting to the rotten corpse. In this 'new' version the film cuts straight from the title card to the corpse. It's all a bit clumsy as you can see the Cardinal about to open his mouth, before the cut. I cannot imagine why the film has had to suffer another cut. I'm not a Catholic, but read somewhere that the Cardinal crosses himself from the left. Whether this is considered unacceptable or imflammatory by Warner Bros, the local distributor or Spain, I do not know. It cannot be a technical problem as the print looks in good condition.

Incidentally, despite Warner Bros apparently advising they would not licence the film in North America to another releasing company, this version is sub-licensed to a local company, Impulso Records, so I'm not sure whether the policy has changed, Spain is seen as a testbed or if that only applies to the uncut (or indeed UK version) of the film.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:08:18 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline richmond74

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »
Alas, I've just read that the Spanish DVD is the US version of the film... At least it's in 2.35:1 so Russell's gloriously framed imagery can be seen, if nothing else...

Offline richmond74

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
I suppose one of the most obvious differences between UK and US versions is that the British print includes Sister Jeanne self-applying an enema at the very end of the film just before the Baron enters the room with Grandier's charred bone. The Amercian print cuts straight to the ensuing conversation. Thanks for checking, only I find the US print so horribly cut that I don't think I'd consider buying it.

Offline tornhill

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »
Ah, now I know. The spanish DVD is slightly longer than 103 minutes. And it's a PAL DVD.

Offline tornhill

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:16 PM »
Uh, oh I really don't know anything about the differences between the US or UK version. I just skipped through the disc just to see if the rape of Christ sequence is included. It's not.

Offline richmond74

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:36 PM »
Good news on 2.35:1 ratio at last.

Do you know if is it the UK or US version? I hope it's the former.

Offline tornhill

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
I got it. It arrived today.

First things first. The rape of Christ sequence is missing. Sadly. :(
However the picture is in rather fine quality despite the fact there's no 16:9 enhancement. But we do get the theatrical aspect ratio on this disc.
You can choose the English or Spanish language track and threre are removable spanish subtitles included. No extras. Not even a theatrical trailer.

So, if you want an uncut version of THE DEVILS you still have to look for the Angel Digital bootleg in NTSC with an unpromising picture quality which seems to come from an old VHS tape.

Offline tornhill

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »
I've ordered it a few days ago and as soon as it is in my hands I'll let everyone know.

Offline richmond74

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »
Has anyone been able to view the Spanish DVD release yet? I'm intrigued to know which cut it is and in which screen ratio.

I'm in Spain in a few weeks and will certainly track this down if worthwhile.

Offline tornhill

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »
Looks rather promising enough for me. :)

Offline richmond74

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
I spotted this link on the reputable FNAC website listing a forthcoming DVD release of The Devils in Spain next week.

However before anyone gets their hopes up, the cover looks rather like the recent bootleg version - and without any current Warner Bros logo - but I'd be surprised if FNAC (rather like Britain's HMV) were selling anything other than a legimate release. Odd.

Odder still is are the aspect ratios listed: the correct cinematic 2.35:1 and 4:3 (TV shape) - strange to have two aspects listed. The running time is given as 111 minutes. No special features mentioned. Spanish and English language options (where a bootlegger would have got the Spanish language track from I don't know - maybe an old VHS release - as I'm sure this film wouldn't have found a cinematic release back in the days of Franco).

Whether this is a supposed 'uncut' version, nothing is mentioned. However even a good quality 2.35:1 print of the UK version would be gratefully recevied for now...

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »
We've been hearing these 'rumors' for the past four or five years, or more. >:(

willem

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:12:06 PM »
apparently it was available for download on Itunes US for a very short period...

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/06/devils_on_my_ph.php

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Devils on DVD- official release
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »
Strong rumours are that it is coming...