Author Topic: sarah kane performance  (Read 8522 times)

Sven P

Re: sarah kane performance
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »
hey there,

i m not a theater professional, but I think the "abuse" of food in Phaedra's love underlines Hippolytus' greed, iniciated through his continous boredom of life. he tries to fill and stuff himself by consumation, food and sex, one of the basic elements of human life.
On the other side, Ian (Blasted) is in such a devasted state of self that there doesn't remain a lot apart from hunger- hunger for life, and even for hope which he priorly didn't express verbally. He lost his ability of communicating, so he finds himself isolated within the closest person and finds a relief in eating a baby. I mean, come on, eating the young life, a newly born baby simplify signifies (to me) pure, innocent and NON-depressing life. More questions?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:57:09 PM by Iain Fisher »

garry

sarah kane performance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a little bit of advice/help. I need to create a 15min presentation (so prob 10min action) about the theatre of Sarah Kane, so more than likely just one of her plays. And it needs to focus upon the sensorial impact of her work so either the smells, taste etc so can focus upon food, smell, visuals. anything really. but just have to work on the audience's senses.

i planned to focus on something with food but i don't really understand her use of it in her plays. in blasted it's used A LOT, in phaedra's it's used a lot...but what's it meaning???

and has anybody got any ideas that may be of use to me in genera?