Author Topic: Lisztomania Director's Commentary  (Read 11245 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Lisztomania Director's Commentary
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:17:44 AM »
The review is in Sight & Sound, June 2009:

"... this may be Ken Russell's most berserk film, an instant turnoff or supreme guilty pleasure according to one's own (appalling) taste..."

"The early scene in which assorted 19th century musicians are systematically mocked... seems designed to drive away classical purists, thus sparing them a collective conniption at the sight of Liszt's ten-foot phallus..."

"... how many British films have been made since whose authorship could be so instantly established from a single random freeze-frame?

A good (short) review.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »
A pity, but I look forward to reading your review.

Michael Brooke

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Unfortunately, none of this information was supplied with my review copy and I duly wrote about what I was sent in good faith.

In future, can you please make it absolutely clear, preferably on the disc itself, whether this reflects the final product?  For obvious reasons, I don't like writing inaccurate reviews, and I imagine you'll be none too happy that I've slagged off the poor-quality non-anamorphic transfer and the lack of extras in a highly respected and influential publication.  But what else could I have done?

I suspect I may have underrated Digital Classics' release of 'Petulia' too, though at least my review copy did have an excellent anamorphic transfer this time.

Digital Classics

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
The DVD will be released in an anamorphic transfer, unfortunately the early review copies do not have this.

The DVD bonuses include a Directors Commentary, 8 page booklet and a theatrical trailer.

Michael Brooke

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
I was sent a completely barebones review copy, and have duly filed a review with Sight & Sound saying as much.

So if there are any extras (or indeed if the transfer is better than what I was sent), can someone confirm as a matter of urgency?  The piece was only submitted yesterday, so there may be a window of opportunity to change it.

I have to say that I was very disappointed with the quality of the transfer - though the widescreen aspect ratio is correct and the soundtrack seemed to be authentic Dolby Stereo, a non-anamorphic picture is quite unacceptable in this day and age, and I duly said so.  Was it a port of the old laserdisc master?

Offline Donald McKinney

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
Hi, I'm a long time Ken Russell fan, and I hope it's not too late to add a suggestion or three...

Was anything cut out?? If so, does it still exist?? Where did the idea for the Texas hoedown music to the swordfight at the start come from?? Where did Ken get the idea for the giant erm... "genius" that Roger entertains the ladies of the Russian court with?? :o ;D

Offline spasmo

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:34:48 AM »
3 questions for Ken: Would you like to do more flamboyant and truly original biopics on the lives of great composers? If yes, do you have anybody particular in mind? Do you want to do something with Melvyn Bragg again?

I think a separate commentary featuring the famous rockers who took part in the making of this masterpiece would be a perfect addition, but it would be most hilarious if the three aforementioned stars (Roger Daltrey, Ringo Starr and Rick Wakeman) joined Ken while recording his commentary. All four people have a wonderful sense of humour, especially Mr. Wakeman who is a fantastic storyteller. His book, 'Grumpy Old Rock Star' contains some of the funniest anecdotes I've ever read...

Offline RingoFan

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
Oops, you're right...

Lisztomania was the first film to be encoded with a Dolby Stereo optical soundtrack, though:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073298/trivia

That audio commentary with Daltrey and Wakeman sounds delicious! Just the other day I was talking with a girl friend of mine who happens to love Lisztomania and she said that she would REALLY like to hear just what Mr. Daltrey has to say for himself about this movie in particular...! ;)

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
I would like to see Ken Hanke, author of Ken Russell's Films, join Ken Russell for the commentary. Although I haven't read the book in years, I remember he had a lot of insightful things to say about Lisztomania.

Cranke Hanke's Screening Room:
http://www.mountainx.com/movies/screening_room/

A separate commentary with Roger Daltry and Rick Wakeman would be a bonus.

RingoFan, I thought Tommy was the first Quintaphonic film.

Offline RingoFan

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »
Hi, being a Ringo fan (hence the name...), I would like very much for Mr. Russell to address just how on earth Mr. Starr got to be part of the movie. Also, I would like to know if Digital Classics is going to release the movie with a 5.1 Digital soundtrack (let's not forget that Lisztomania was the first movie to be released with a Dolby Stereo Optical audio track, then billed as Quintaphonic).

Also, will english subtitles be included? Original trailer and other merchandising material will be a nice inclusion too.

Cheers!

Offline tornhill

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »
Although I don't have any questions for Mr. Russell I would like to know if the DVD will feature some of the extensive marketing campaign in its bonus material. There are plenty of very interesting posters, one sheets etc. to find on the web. It would be great to have them on the disc too.
The inclusion of a theatrical trailer for the film would be great.

Offline regal26

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
I would very interested in hearing more about how the screenplay was created and
also what producer David Puttnam's involvement was in the making of the film.

Thanks!

Digital Classics

Lisztomania Director's Commentary
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »
We are delighted at Digital Classics to announce that Ken Russell has expressed an interest in providing a directors commentary for 'Lisztomania'.

We would like to consider any questions you have about the film to forward onto Ken as part of the commentary.

Best
Digital Classics

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:50:36 PM by Iain Fisher »