Re: West
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:55:48 PM »
Hi Jane,

Let us know how you get on.  It sounds interesting, an all-girl West

Iain

Jane

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »
Sorry I took so long to reply.  Thank you for all your help, I have bought tickets to the Q&A and am looking forward to seeing Berkoff perform and hearing the post-show discussion!  We are studying West because another group are doing East and we thought it would be good to have both plays.  Interestingly we are just a group of 5 girls, so at times trying to act out the scenes is difficult as there is a lot of multi-role and gender change.  The challenge is very fun though!  

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:06 PM »
Hi Jane,

There isn't a video of West, in fact it isn't performed on stage all that often, so it is interesting you have chosen to study it.
In terms of the physicality the play shows many similarities with East, and there is a DVD of East directed by Berkoff, which is exceptionally good.  Maybe this will help.

http://www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-shop-filmed.html

There are some excerpts of West here but none directed by Berkoff
http://www.iainfisher.com/berkoff/berkoff-download.html

If you are close to London you can see Berkoff on stage performing in On The Waterfront.  The ensemble show Berkoff's skill and imagination in conveying violence with subtle choreography.  Berkoff is also doing a Q&A session- see the other post "Q&A with Berkoff".  You could ask him yourself.

Does this help?  Let us know how it goes,  and further questions are welcome.

Iain
PS Why West, and what is your favourite part of the play?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:19:30 AM by Iain Fisher »

Jane Rath

West
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
We are studying West for our final year at university.  The physicality of the piece is something we are all struggling with and I am absolutely desperate to try and track down a copy of the version made by Steven Berkoff himself, do you have idea where I may be able to get hold of this?

Alternatively, if anyone knows any good Berkoff workshops we could attend, that would be of great use as well.

Hope to hear back soon,

Jane