Author Topic: The works of Sarah Kane... Chloe  (Read 8090 times)

Offline archive

Re: The works of Sarah Kane... Chloe
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:57:24 AM »
Well, thank you so much, I will look for that book, its interesting that one of my professors who teaches 20th century drama has never even heard of Sarah Kane, is this something that is just more known in European countries do you think? Her work, I mean? Oh, and I'm sorry that I ended up posting my question 3 times! I don't know how that happened...

Archive 6-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:00:45 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: The works of Sarah Kane... Jaidn
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »
I was hoping that 'Love me or Kill me' would be out in tiome for Xmas...

Archive 6-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:00:24 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: The works of Sarah Kane... Jess Cully
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
Get 'In-Yer-Face Theatre' by Aleks Sierz which has an excellent chapter on her, and make sure you get 'Love Me Or Kill Me' by Graham Saunders, the first whole book on her work, which comes out early next year.

Archive 6-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:59:57 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

The works of Sarah Kane... Chloe
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:55:30 AM »
Hello everyone. A very dear friend of mine first told me about Sarah Kane and I was very intrigued by her work, I obtained a book of her plays and have just been amazed at the beautiful pain in her works! I'm currently an American graduate student and I'm thinking of perhaps doing a thesis on her works, tho I'm not sure as there doesn't seem to be alot of scholarly info on her, at least not that I have found...any reccomendations as to this?

Also...I would like to ask this question: Maybe this is just me, being female and all that, but the one element in her work that I found very surprising is the violence which, at the risk of inflaming the ire of anyone, struck me as quite odd, and by that I mean, for a woman to write so graphically of violence, with very few exceptions I can't really think of any women writers who have dealt with this, to such a degree...perhaps a bit in the Gothic fiction of the american south with the works of Flannery O'Connor but still! That would be pushing it a bit, I think...anyway, just wondering about the reactions to this in her work. Thanks!

Archive 5-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:59:37 PM by Iain Fisher »