Author Topic: Song quotes in Kane- Jaidn  (Read 9296 times)

Offline archive

Re: CHICKEN SOUP s_wodewose
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:11:40 AM »
Perhaps the most obvious Joy Division quotation is "the chicken's still dancing / the chicken won't stop" which is in '4.48 Psychosis'. This is of particulary interest because it links three suicides: one fictional, the other two very real. I'm afraid you won't find these lines in any of Joy Division's songs, in fact if you have CDs you won't find them at all because they are scratched, together with chicken footprints into the run-off of the LP 'Still'. The words originally appeared at the end of the Werner Herzog film 'Stroszek' when the eponymous hero kills himself and we hear on the soundtrack: "The chicken's still dancing..." Joy Division singer Ian Curtis watched this film on the night he committed suicide in May 1980. This is depicted starkly - but inaccurately - in the excellent '24 Hour Party People'.

I hope this has proved of interest. Goodbye and keep the faith.

Stephen

Archive 23-8-2002
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:37:11 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Song quotes in Kane Jaidn
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:10:24 AM »
I've never read much Eliot though I can see your point there.

As for Joy Division, I'll ahve to have a listern back to them. Though there are certainly personal similaratys as well.

The 'Have another drink, have a ciggarette' line in 'Crave' always reminds me of a song, I can hear it being sung in my head. Though I don't know what song or who. Though maybe Smashing Pupkins

Archive 21-8-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:36:40 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Song quotes in Kane Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:09:27 AM »
Joy Division were another group she quoted, but I canĀ“t identify any quotes.

One I can identify is TS Eliot: in Crave the phrase "HURRY UP PLEASE, ITS TIME" (in capitals) comes from "The Waste Land/ A Game of Chess" where it is also in capitals.

And donĀ“t these TS Eliot quotes sound like Sarah:

because I do not hope to turn again because I do not hope because I do not hope to turn

- Birth, and copulation and death. ThatĀ“s all, thatĀ“s all, thatĀ“s all, thatĀ“s all, thatĀ“s all. Birth and copulation and death - IĀ“d be bored - YouĀ“d be bored

Delay, decay. Living, living Never moving. Ever moving Iron thoughts come with me And go with me: Red river, river, river

Iain

Archive 21-8-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:36:10 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Song quotes in Kane- Jaidn
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:08:33 AM »
While I was reading some of the articals that are linked to or copyd here, I noticed menting that Sarah often used to quote song lyrics in her plays. Apparently most were Pixies or Smashing Pumpkins. I thought I knew my Pixies though I haven't found that many :(

The only song line that I thought I could see is in 'Blasted' near the end after Cait gets some food the stage dirctin 'Blood running down the inside of her legs' could be from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 'Do you love me part one' (album version). Though maybe not, as the direction is seeping in Compleate works.

Archive 30-7-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:35:37 PM by Iain Fisher »