Author Topic: Battesea Arts Centre Crave- Chris Catchpole  (Read 7618 times)

Offline archive

Re: Battesea Arts Centre Crave- Jess Cully
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »
Sorry, that should be A and M hug, not A and B.

Archive 11-2-2004
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:14:08 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Battesea Arts Centre Crave- Jess Cully
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:20:18 PM »
I've just come from the BAC production and thought it was very well performed. This Crave is presented in a new way. The characters are in a room with a seated table with bottles of wine and glasses on in one corner, plus a couple of wooden chairs in the middle - we could be in a pub or wine bar, or in the living room of one of the characters. The play is a group conversation. The cast sit, get up, and stand in various attitudes, while speaking the lines as talking to each other in different combinations - sometimes in a pair, sometimes a group of three, occasionally all four. The romantic pairings are still A/C and B/M, but the foursome all interact. Some lines are given a new dimension by being delivered in an emotional tone - excited, impassioned or indignant - especially by C. The two women sometimes touch as though offering each other emotional support; at one point A and B hug while talking to each other, but A then returns to C. Mark Bell makes a reserved, contemplative A. He delivers the famous love monologue piece by piece (pausing before each 'and') in an even, thoughtful tone; he often skulks in corners while the other three are conversing animatedly; only in the final stages does he begin to display more outward emotion. Maya Barcot's M and Justin Mitchell Davey's B make a spirited, tactile couple, and Laura Cameron plays C rather like Jo McInnes played her part in 4.48 Psychosis. I enjoyed this performance, and director Matt Peover is to be congratulated for finding a different way of presenting the play. When Sarah wrote the play without background instructions or stage directions, she intended each individual director to fill in the gaps. Well worth watching.

Archive 10-2-2004
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:13:51 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Battesea Arts Centre Crave- Chris Catchpole
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:19:35 PM »
Has anyone been to see the new production of Crave by Liquid Theatre? Being a big Kane fan and drama student myself I was quite disappointed by what I experienced. What are the thoughts of others who have seen it? Chris

Archive 8-2-2004
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:13:33 PM by Iain Fisher »