Author Topic: All the plays in Sheffield, UK  (Read 5997 times)

Offline malmo58

Re: All the plays in Sheffield, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:37:27 AM »
Would have loved to attend - unfortunately I'm short of funds.

I see Phaedra and Cleansed are only readings again, same as during the Royal Court season in 2001. I understand Cleansed is quite difficult to stage but don't get why Phaedra is so neglected. There's some very strong material in that play and Sarah's humour is to the forefront. Definitely deserves to be staged more.

Remember Sarah today.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
All the plays in Sheffield, UK
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
Sheffield Theatres will stage the complete works of Sarah Kane from 5- 21 Mar 2015.

Blasted, Crave and 4.48 Psychosis will be full productions and Phaedra’s Love and Cleansed will be semi-staged readings.  Her film Skin will also be shown.

Daniel Evans said: ‘I had the great privilege of knowing Sarah Kane. I got to act in two world premières of her plays. In fact, I actually got to act alongside her when she stepped in at the last moment to take over from the leading lady, who had injured her spine late on in the run. I remember how ‘real’ Sarah’s acting was. She made our acting look fake and theatrical.

Looking back at her brief career fifteen years after her death, I realise that her acting was characteristic of what I remember most about her as a person and as a writer. She was a truth seeker. She believed passionately that there wasn’t anything that couldn’t be represented in the theatre, however beautiful or cruel. If something existed, then it could (and should) be portrayed and discussed. She is undoubtedly one of the most courageous people I’ve known and I’m delighted to be presenting a season of her work here in Sheffield.

In her own way, Sarah Kane’s writing changed the face of British Theatre. Much has been said and written about her death, but it’s important to say that Sarah had a wonderful, dark sense of humour – and a huge heart. Her plays are full of tenderness and a yearning for love. During our season, there’ll be an opportunity to see her complete works – in full productions, in semi-staged readings and also on film.’

Blasted is on from 4- 21 Feb 2015.  Director: Richard Wilson; Designer: James Cotterill; Lighting Designer: Paul Keogan

Crave is on from 6- 21 Mar 2015.  Director: Charlotte Gwinner; Designer: Signe Beckmann; Associate Designer: Emma Bailey, Lighting Designer: Hartley T A Kemp; Sound Designer: Christopher Shutt

4.48 Psychosis is on from 6- 21 Mar 2015.  Director: Charlotte Gwinner; Designer: Signe Beckmann; Associate Designer: Emma Bailey, Lighting Designer: Hartley T A Kemp; Sound Designer: Christopher Shutt

Details are here
www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/about/news/press-releases/sheffield-theatres-announces-new-season-for-2015/