Author Topic: Lisztomania discussion  (Read 9138 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Lisztomania discussion
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
PS the festival also includes early silent Hitchcock films, having just seen many at the BFI they are highly recommended, particularly his first film The Pleasure Garden.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Lisztomania at Portland's Reel Music Festival
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
A chance to see Lisztomania in Portland, USA.  Details are here:
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »
I've seen Lizstomania. I love it. I even got a chance to see it on the big screen back in the 80's, when the Harvard Square Theatre, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, had a Ken Russell film festival. I'll have to see the film again to really comment on it, but I remember the ending being rather weak. My VCR is in storage, so I'll have to wait until I've moved to my new apartment for a fresh viewing.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »
Does you and me and regal26 make three? "Lisztomania" is not one of Ken's films I've seen before, but now that it is--apparently--been posted to YouTube in its entirity, I have a way to watch it. Though, I probably won't have time to watch more than one ten-minute segment a week.

Offline regal26

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »
Someone has posted all of Lisztomania on YouTube. (Granted it is in 4:3 and in ten minute chunks).
But it can be seen there.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »
While I have seen clips from the film, I won't be able to volunteer, as I don't have a copy of the entire film. Thus, I don't want to base any opinions I have on the film, solely on the clips I have seen.

I will say, that if any of use are familiar with what film critic Ken Hanke has written on Ken Russell, then "Lisztomania," if not his favorite of Ken's films, is one of his favorites. Which would seem to put him at odds with most of Ken's fans.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:18:55 PM »
Good stuff.

Two more volunteers?

Offline regal26

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »
I would be interested in posting some material on Lisztomania.

I've seen the film both in the theatre and on video, but I still sit on the fence in regards to its place in Russell's body of work.

The film plays out a mixture of operatics and pop culture through it's series of gargantuan set pieces (the concert hall, princess Carolyn's palace, Wagner's castle, etc.) rather than as a cohesive narrative.

Besides the film itself, I'd also be interested in knowing more about David Puttnam's role as the producer. It's been stated somewhere that the film (along with Rick Wakeman) was already in pre-production when Russell began work on it. Puttnam poured a huge sum of money into the production, but how much control did he exert over the content?

Either way, lots of interesting stuff to discuss!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:17:40 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Lisztomania discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:13:02 AM »
Lisztomania is the film which divides all Ken Russell fans- I hate it, many love it.  Why is this, because we all admire Ken's work?

Is it worth looking at the film in detail, I am not yet sure how, but for example taking a scene at a time and seeing what is good or bad about it?  It might work and it might not.  But if it does it will be fun.  What about three volunteers who will try and contribute to this with me?  No commitment, but just to take a bit of time to contribute, and of course to watch the film again a few times.  Of course I hope other people will take part as well.

If I get three volunteers I will try and get it off the ground.  It will be good to get more into Ken's work.

Iain