Author Topic: Stealing Beethoven...  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Stealing Beethoven...
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
" I  also now know the influence of Ken on Apocalypse Now, which various people have mentioned before but I could never see- it is the opening of Apocalypse copying the opening of Mahler."

And now photos of the opening of Mahler

And the opening of Apocalypse Now!

Both initial images with music but no dialogue.  Mahler is pre-credits and Apocalypse Now! has no credits at the start of the film.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:17:45 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline regal26

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »
I though Immortal Beloved was an average movie. I felt it was lacking energy. Like Rose said, the studio wanted another Amadeus, not 'Mahler.'

Still...it wasn't as bad as Agnieszka Holland's 'Copying Beethoven' which was quite
a snooze fest.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »
I like the article and Bernard Rose is my second favourite director, especially for Candyman, Paperhouse and Ivan's XTC.  I  also now know the influence of Ken on Apocalypse Now, which various people have mentioned before but I could never see- it is the opening of Apocalypse copying the opening of Mahler.

I always thought Immortal Beloved was influenced by Ken.  From memory (I don't have the film) I remember Beethoven being humiliated in public for a performance (because he was becoming deaf) being similar to Tchaikovsky being ridiculed after the premiere of his first piano concerto.  And just as Ken, Rose doesn't give a life story but uses incidents to give a better insight into the subject.

Offline regal26

Stealing Beethoven...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:12:51 PM »
An interesting interview in the Guardian between Bernard Rose and Ken Russell.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/sep/15/biography