Author Topic: Music... Jane  (Read 7337 times)

Offline archive

Re: Music... eugenia
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 01:02:55 AM »
By the way, has anybody seen our production of Crave in Ny that runns right now? It'll be on till Sunday the 26th. If anyone's seen it, I'd love to hear feedback from you guys. eu

Archive 22-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:41:48 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Music... Monique
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
I would love to hear your thoughts on Crave. Currently I am helping a director in Texas research Sarah Kane and Crave for a production in April. I have a million questions about what research you did and what you found to be most usefull, any information you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.Thank you, Monique

Archive 19-2-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:41:25 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Music... eugenia
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:01:23 AM »
Hey there, Sarah Kane seems to have been listening all kinds of strange stuff. I directed Crave that is now on in NY & my experience is this: There's a line in the play that C says that we could never figure out what it meant."One fine morning in the month of May".When we got our musicians in rehearsal (they play viola, acoustic guitar & piano guts) they identified the quote. It's the exact translation from German of a Shuman song. We heard it & we got sure that she was quoting it for a reason. The song sounds so romantic & elegant (it's a love song of course), like the music you would hear in an elegant cafe in Berlin, shiny officers & gorgeus women everywhere, crystal glasses, the smell of expensive cigars and fine aromas, while next door Aushwitz was burning. Moreover, the song ends at it's pick, as if it has just begun (again), w/ no resolution. For us, that was the perfect music to contrast the text & therefore make it real. So, we actually used the song in our piece. Fragmented & broken throughout, glorious at the end. Sure, she quotes Dead Kennedies & otehr modern stuff, but she had been listening to all kinds of things, that's my opinion. If you try to categorize her as "the girl who listened to that kind of things", I think you'll be missing something ver true about her that characterised her a lot: she was looking all over. best, eugenia

Archive 22-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:41:01 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Music... Jane
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:00:47 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if anybody new what sort of music Sarah listened to? I'm doing some resarch for school. Thankyou! J

Archive 20-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:40:40 AM by Iain Fisher »