Author Topic: Subject for assignment- Jakob, denmark  (Read 7783 times)

Offline archive

Re: Subject for assignment- Linn
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:53:46 AM »
...but...

...as Kane through her work makes "signs to society" (p118,Love me or kill me), she still is a person with individual suffering. I guess the importance is not mixing it. The result might be confusing then. There is a suicide clinique in Switzerland and they base their services on the rational choice of the person. Maybe that would be interesting, analyzing rationalism and suicide? Linn

Archive 8-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:27:51 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Subject for assignment- Linn
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:59 AM »
Jakob. I like your idea. As youĀ“re anxious about it being to narrow IĀ“ll say you are the perfect person to write about such a difficult theme. Both Kane and Artaud expressed thoughts about the world as commiting suicide on itself. Suicide does not have to mean one persons suicide (the characters or the authors). You could analyse this much deeper. The worlds cyclic suicide through KaneĀ“s characters. One idea is to use Norman ParfitĀ“s ideas about self-interest theory. As Kane explores our darker sides as egocentrism and its effects, dry philosophical examples may help you. Parfit really gives hope and a lot of his enthusiasm for being generous and loving is shared by Kane, in my point of view. I think there are so many ways to write about suicide in Kanes plays. IĀ“m into languages suicide and rebirth. Seems to me a lot of people are scared of being pathetic writing about Kane. Words like feminism, woman, cry for help, biography...seem to be taboo on this site. She was a great writer. She was a woman crying for help. "Cry for help" leads thoughts to the word victim which is another taboo-word in our culture/this site. A person who lives with one foot in the grave is crying for help. Such persons allways seem to be more alive than others. She used this personal experience in a wider sense. She included the world. Through her art her private darkness transformed to an apocalyptic vision of what makes the world kill itself. IĀ“m quite sure Kane died because she felt she couldnĀ“t get help. 4.48 is a postmodern ritual. Someone is searching for something beyond language. And then she died. There are so many wonderful people killing themselves everyday. What if someone really studies the suicide theme in her plays/life and comes up with information that could help others? I donĀ“t think she would mind. I guess your aim isnĀ“t to save the world Jakob, but I think that you should trust your intuition and write about it if you feel that it is important for the understanding of her works in general. DonĀ“t misunderstand me, IĀ“m not suggesting that you should hunt info about her personal life and pervert the memory of her! Linn

Archive 7-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:27:30 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Subject for assignment- Hazel
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:24 AM »
i think it would be narrow if you looked at her writings from the point of view of HER suicide and talk about the writing leading to that...thing is...with that as ur title, it might be unavoidable for you to think like that. If you can avaoid that pothole, uv probably got somewhere to go - suicide, or more importantly depression that leads there, is much stronger in crave and 4.48 than the earlier ones i think though.

Archive 3-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:27:11 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Subject for assignment- Jakob, denmark
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:51:55 AM »
Hi. I'm writing my B.A. on Sarah Kane, and I was thinking about looking at the suicide theme in all of her writings. So I was wondering about if any of you had any thoughts on that. Is it a good idea, to focus on suicide in her authourship, or does it seem to narrow?

Archive 3-1-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:26:49 PM by Iain Fisher »