Author Topic: Hellraisers: Oliver Reed  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Hellraisers: Oliver Reed
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:25 PM »
A review of the book, as dismissive as I am.
www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Book-Review-Hellraisers-The-Life-and-Inebriated-1361114.php

The reviewer does talk of "some of the best and most famous films of the 60s and 70s (Becket, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? [Burton]; A Man Called Horse, Camelot [Harris]; Lawrence of Arabia, What's New Pussycat [O'Toole]; Women in Love, Tommy [Reed])."

Becket?  Who's afraid... (destroying a good play), A man called horse, Camelot, Pussycat.  Are these good films?  Not in my opinion.

Favourite Burton films: Equus, The Medusa Touch, 1984
Harris: Patriot Games, Unforgiven, The Snow Goose -tv- incredibly popular in Britain at the time)
O'Toole: I agree with Lawrence of Arabia.  Nothing else.
Reed: agreed plus The Devils etc.  Best non Ken films- Gladiator (don't like the film but like Reed), The Brood

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Hellraisers: Oliver Reed
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:40 AM »
Forgot to say but Ken is credited as one of the people interviewed.  Doesn't make it any more accurate though, as Ken loves a good story.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Hellraisers: Oliver Reed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
Hellraisers, a book on Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Oliver Reed by Robert Sellers.  I got it from the library and skimmed all the O'Toole, and most of the Burton/ Harris.  Not a reliable source of information- lots of anecdotes a lot of which I guess don't match reality, and no references.

Some bits on Oliver Reed I thought interesting:

"Whereas O'Toole and Burton hailed from working classes and knew poverty as children, Oliver Reed knew only privilege, with a nanny, a maid and a butler serving the household."

Ken and Oliver in France: there was a fish restaurant with the fish live in a tank.  Ken and Oliver freed the fish, Ken passing them through a window to Oliver who put them in a stream.  They were made to pay for all the fish.  Likely?  No.

On The Devils for the final scene Oliver had to have his eyebrows shaved off.  He agreed to do it on condition the eyebrows were insured for half a million pounds if they didn't grow back properly.  Likely?  No.

Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers.  The book claims this was originally a film for The Beatles.  Likely?  Not sure- Lester did the first two Beatles films.  On Oliver Reed's sword fighting "Oliver sometimes would go totally beserk and start to really fight".  And Tarantino said "Olver Reed is just f*cking GOD in this movie".

For Mahler Reed's cameo role got him three bottles of Dom Perignon, and four for Lisztomania.

Reed turned down the Robert Shaw role in Jaws.