Author Topic: Lisztomania  (Read 5941 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Lisztomania
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
I've updated Lisztomania on the site (part of my update of all the films).  Mainly the images have been improved.

www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-film-lisztomania.html

I also spotted a comparison with Kill Bill Vol 1 (superb film)

Steve Mobia

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
I found Russell's commentary on the Lisztomania DVD to be somewhat drab considering the movie it accompanies.  OTOH, Ken couldn't remember much about "The Devils" when asked in an interview.  After all, that was a long time ago.  They should've got Roger Daltry to do the commentary with Ken.  I'm sure that would've unearthed some interesting memories.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »
Having heard Ken's commentary for "Lair of the White Worm," I'd imagine the highlight on this would be his commentary. You get so much more from his films with his commentary. You just wish he'd done more commentary, before he died.

Steve Mobia

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Having seen "Lisztomania" yet again after hearing of Russell's death, I'm yet again impressed with the sets, lighting and costume design as well as the expert camerawork that follows the music perfectly.  I just love to watch this film for it's constant vivid imagination.  The only time the film slacks off a bit is in the wedding preparation and the curious scene on the bridge after the Pope's disapproval.  My only real puzzlement with the story is how Cosima ever got into heaven at the end.  I'd be curious to read any material by people of worked on the film either as technicians, actors or stage hands -- I imagine it must've been a memorable time.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Lisztomania in Chichester, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:27 AM »
You can see Lisztomania on 30 Jun 2011 at Chichester Cinema.

"Where else can you see a film where Richard Wagner grows a pair of vampire fangs; makes an Aryan monster (Thor - played by overblown organ-obsessive Rick Wakeman!); stages a thoroughly nightmarish 'Rape of the Rhine Maidens' - with the perpetrator sporting a Star of David tattoo (on his forehead!!); teaches innocent little kiddies anti-Semitic rock songs about 'Teutonic Godheads'; dies; then returns from the grave as a swastika emblazoned Frankenstein's monster with a Hitler moustache, firing an enormous guitar/machine gun at a space-ship full of his and Franz Liszt's ex-lovers, who are trying to bomb him?

And Ringo Star plays the Pope! Ken Russell’s most outlandish biographical film - Purists – please stay away… The film has a healthy disrespect for any historical accuracy, but it is very entertaining in its own excessive irreverent way."

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html

Offline richmond74

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
Great to finally see a widescreen version of this film and some beautiful Russell compositions presented as they were meant to be (I'm sure my old VHS pan and scan cut off half the image).

I've not seen it for about ten years - having at the time written it off as one of Ken's lesser works - and although it's far from his best, it certainly contains some visually stunning moments (as one would expect) and a full blooded use of colour. Actually the scattergun, pantomimish feel generally goes in it's favour from the fabulous Busby Berkley phallic revue to the Jess Franco-esque Hilter Youth sequences of rape and pilage. A film of great sequences, I guess.

It doesn't quite 'out-Tommy, Tommy' - and does it need to? -but it's certainly a rich work from Ken's 70s purple patch.

As for the DVD, a good job from Digital Classics. As mentioned, a full blooded print and decent early stereo. The DVD liners notes are interesting as far they go with some useful contextualisation and quotes, but tail off just as you get into them. They also include a script extract from the Hell Cave phallic revue, which is interesting as it makes scant mention of the delerious uses for Liszt's erection the girls find in the completed film. Ken's commentary is a little intermitent, but useful nevertheless.

Offline regal26

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »
Man...I didn't get my copy of Lisztomania from Amazon until today. Almost a month after I ordered it.
That's overseas shipping for you.

It was nice that the disc had Ken's commentary which was wry and interesting. But the print doesn't
look arguably any better than the old laserdisc. Having seen the original film projected, the DVD image
is a dark and a bit hazy (noticably when Liszt sees the castle turrets shaped like a stormtrooper's helmet)

It's nice to finally see the film available, but Warner's really needs to strike a new print. And let's get
The Devils, The Music Lovers, Savage Messiah, and the Boy Friend on disc. We've only waited ten years!

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Lisztomania
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »
My DVD just arrived, can't wait to see it (tonight!!).

Extra's are a commentary by Ken and a trailer.  There is also a short booklet on the making of the film.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:26:28 PM by Iain Fisher »