Author Topic: sexual politics Sarah de Ste Croix  (Read 13844 times)

Offline archive

Re: sexual politics- Iain Fisher
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »
Hi Sarah,

An interesting subject. Two books may help:

Aleks SierzĀ“s excellent book In-Yer-Face Theatre has a very good chapter on Sarah Kane for example ā€œan example of her insight [into male psychology] is the way Ian manages to control Cate by making her feel guiltyā€

Heidi Stephenson and Natasha LangridgeĀ“s Rage and Reason has a good interview with Sarah Kane ā€œā€¦IĀ“m not writing about sexual politics. The problems IĀ“m addressing are the ones we have as human beingsā€.

Some of the links (on the links page) may help, but few of them go into any depth.

If you are looking for comparisons, what about Caryl ChurchillĀ“s work, especially Cloud Nine ā€œChurchillĀ“s overt examination of Sexual Politics as a metaphor for social criticism, gender exploration, and even race relations asks audiences to decipher meaning from a play which denies conventional narrative and traditional character developmentā€ (there is a good site source of information on Churchill here http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/dial/lap101/churchil.htm )

Hope this helps. Does anyone know of other articles or links that may help Sarah?

Iain

Archive 16-4-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:47:23 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: sexual politics Jordan in Newfoundland, Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »
There's a book called "Love Me or Kill Me" by Graham Saunders. It can be purchased through amazon.com if you can't get it in a library. It is an essential book! I did a major thesis last year on Blasted, Phaedra's Love, and 4.48, and I found it very useful. Also, there another book by Aleks Sierz, called "In Yer-Face Theatre." That one's good too. Also, in Stephenson and Langridge's book "Rage and Reason: Women Playwrights on Playwriting" there's an interview with Kane. But the best book is Saunders'. Also, check out some on-line newspapers and journals. Hope this helps.

Archive 4-11-2004
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:46:51 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: sexual politics Lucy
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:40:11 PM »
hei kersten, i was wondering what material you finally managed to collect? and if you managed to get a few hinters from sarah's essay?

Archive 1-12-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:46:22 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: sexual politics Kerstin
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
Hi Sarah! I've just started my thesis on the problem of gendering in Kane's plays. I'm still on the very beginning of my search for literature. Could you possibly recomment anything to me? I would also be interested in your essay on sexual politics! If you wouldn't mind me quoting some of your thoughts in my thesis you could send it to me. my e-mail is: ***@***.*** I'd really appreciate your help! Love, Kerstin

Archive 28-7-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:45:52 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: sexual politics Andrew
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:38:43 PM »
Hello, i am also trying to write a paper about Sarah Kane and was wondering if you would be able to direct me towards any sources that you used in your paper. If you might be able to helpe me in any way please send me an e-mail at ***@***.***

Archive 4-3-2003
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:45:28 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: sexual politics- Graham Saunders
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »
Dear Ms Croix, Checking out Stephenson & Langridge's Rahge and Reason book gives an interesting intrerview in which Kane rejected 'conventional' sexual politic i.e writing specifically about genbder. Elaine |Aston comments on this in the Cambridge Companion to British Women Dramatists.

Hoipe this helps,

Graham Saunders

Archive 15-5-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:44:59 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

sexual politics Sarah de Ste Croix
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
I am currently trying to write an essay on Sarah Kane and Sexual politics and as you will all know the material on her work is very limited. I would be grateful if any one has any ideas or knows of any material which might be useful to me. I am concentrating on Pheadra's Love and Blasted. Thanks.

Archive 9-4-2001
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:44:23 PM by Iain Fisher »