Savage Messiah: Ken Russell > Savage Messiah: Ken Russell

Ken fired from Skeletons in 1997

(1/2) > >>

Rosebud:
I love the screen shots of the Shrews that you uploaded. The worst looking shrew looks like a paper mache high school art project.  I haven't seen the Killer Shrews Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode.  I need to check it out.  I've watch a few other Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes over the years and always got a kick out of them.  Thanks Iain for the link.

Iain Fisher:
Yes Killer Shrews is a film so bad it is good, and just like you I have watched it lots of times.

Of course the shrews are the best/worst part.  Here reasonably good

but here !!!!

It is part of my "100 horror films" set on about 20 DVD, some really forgettable, others great.

Do you know Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3000)?  They take really bad films (mainly horror or sci fi) and have a man and two robots (don't ask) in the audience giving a great taking the piss commentary, for example Earth vs the Spider (skip the into go straight to the film)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUQ78kozjk

Rosebud:
I love the mentioning of "The Killer Shrews," which is another guilty favorite of mine.  I watch it at least once a year. A Ken Russell remake of "The Killer Shrews" would had been amazing!!!

Iain Fisher:
And I watched DeCocteau's Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rara.

****** spoilers ******

It is what you would expect, 3 chicks who have showers etc etc and then about 40 mins into the film the creature, an imp, appears totally unexpectedly.  Wikipedia says "loosely based on the classic short story The Monkey's Paw" but what the film is about isn't really relevant.  It is good cheesy fun in the same way as Roger Corman- think The Wasp Woman or Creature from the Haunted Sea or Ray Kellogg's The Killer Shrews, but with nudity.

Iain Fisher:
I watched Skeletons (the David DeCoteau version, not the later film with the same title).  A good serviceable film worth watching on TV but not one to watch again.  Difficult to see how Ken would handle it and how he would have handled actors like Christopher Plummer and James Coburn.  It could have been another Billion Dollar Brain (which has lots of good bits) or Dogboys (which doesn't).  Or Ken could have surprised us just as Tommy and Altered States showed his versatility.

(**** spoilers ****)

Basically a newcomer to a town investigates a death with the supposed killer in jail and lead actor Peter Crane becomes more and more convinced the man jailed is innocent.  The more he investigates the more the townspeople turn against him till only one person seems to be sympathetic- I guessed early on this person was the actual leader of the cover-up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version