Author Topic: Caryl Churchill and Kane: Seven Jewish Children  (Read 6006 times)

Tyler Coombes

Re: Caryl Churchill and Kane: Seven Jewish Children
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »
Hi,

I am playing Sam at the mo in Drunk Enough to Say I Love? at Arch468. Thank you for your comment - the failure of the RC production was a reason for us doing this!

Just a note to say also, that we are doing a rehearsed reading of Seven Jewish Children after our final three performances (March 20th, 21st, 22nd). Churchill is such an amazing playwright! Perfect for an actor and its a shame when establishments, like the RC, miss an opportunity to show her off.

Tyler

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Caryl Churchill and Kane: Seven Jewish Children
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:38:05 AM »
Talking of Caryl Churchill, I highly recommend Drunk Enough to Say I Love You by fringe group arch468 in London.  I saw the premiere production in the Royal Court and unusually for them the direction and staging was so bad.

This new performance has vitality by a new group in a new venue.

www.arch468.com/Home.html

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Caryl Churchill and Kane: Seven Jewish Children
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »
Caryl Churchill's new play "Seven Jewish Children", a play for Gaza, was commissioned by the Royal Court Theatre London, to reflect the crisis in Gaza today.  The play was obviously written quickly and lasts just 10 minutes, but is powerful theatre.  The anger that Churchill had over Thatcherism which came out in Top Girls is repeated with Churchill's anger over the plight of Gaza civilians.   Like Top Girls, Churchill does not rant but conveys the anger in day to day situations.  I recommend this production highly- tickets are free, but you are requested to donate to Medical aid for Palestinians www.map-uk.org.  You can also download the playtext here
www.iainfisher.com/kane/eng/SevenJewishChildren.pdf

Why do I mention it?  The play is in seven scenes, and the stage directions say "the lines can be shared out in any way you like among the characters... They may be played by any number of actors".  Just like 4.48 Psychosis.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:11:17 PM by Iain Fisher »