Author Topic: Gender in "Crave"  (Read 9111 times)

Offline Simon

Re: Gender in "Crave"
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »
I'm not sure that I agree with Iain that the play doesn't specify the gender of the four characters.  There's no indication in the dramatis personae of gender and no notes in the text but the fact that Dean would need to change 'him's to 'her's is surely just one indication.  I agree that breaking the symmetry could bring out new aspects but I think there must be better ways of doing it.

I think there would have to be a good artistic reason for changing the gender of a character in a play.  I feel very strongly that not being able to cast the play correctly because you only have 1 male is not a good reason.

Also I think I'm correct in saying that changing the words of a play would be in breach of any clause in a performance contract that disallows additions, deletions and amendments to the text.

With 1 male and 3 female actors perhaps Dean should consider 4.48 Psychosis?

Simon

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Gender in "Crave"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »
The play doesn't specify the gender of the four characters.  It will be interesting to see how your idea affects the dynamics of the play.  Two couples have a symmetry, but breaking the symmetry could also bring out new aspects of the play.

There is a danger the audience will think some speeches by A are about herself- the story about the girl hiding the bottles of milk could be seen as autobiographical, which is clearly not the intention.  And lines like "I'm not a rapist" need careful handling for the audience.

But it sounds an interesting idea.

Iain

Dean

Gender in "Crave"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:52:28 PM »
Ok, I know that in most - if not every - production of Crave the character A has been played by a man.

Apart from the obvious changes necessary, changing the odd him to a her, does anyone think that it would make sense to have A played by a girl?

(I ask this, as I really want to perform this, but we only have 1 guy and 3 girls....)

Thanks!