Author Topic: Where do I start with Crave?  (Read 7860 times)

Offline whiskey

Re: Where do I start with Crave?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
I hope this doesn't sound too simplistic, but I think A is both the author(SK) and 'abuser'  - the two are not incompatible if you can understand that when a person is very depressed they can feel utter revulsion at who they are and an unfathomable self hatred, viewing themselves as worse than the lowest form of life - worse than any 'abuser'.   I thought the monologue sounds like an elderly man fantasising about a teenage girl - at a distance.  The rhythm of the text seems to lose coherence when his fantasy approaches anything intimate (talking, being human etc) and it seems to regain it's rhythm when his fantasy withdraws to 'safe distance'.  By the end of the monologue he's all over the place - struggling to regain control.  Could this be a metaphor for the impossible struggle to connect with someone when very low?
I could be talking complete rubbish, of course, and I may have completely lost the plot!

Kind Regards,
Rob

Offline whiskey

Where do I start with Crave?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »
Hi,
I've never seen 'Crave' and I'm new to Sarah Kane's work - but could anyone give me a hint how to 'read' the text?  I'd especially like to know how to approach A's monologue - it feels musical but where do I breathe without disturbing the flow?  Where is 'A' at that part of the play?  What sparks off such a wonderful speech?
Thanks
Whiskey