Author Topic: James Hansford & Kane- Linn  (Read 8351 times)

Offline archive

Re: James Hansford & Kane- Antonin Artaud/Linn
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:40:39 AM »
"My dear friend, I believe I have found a suitable title for my book. It will be: The theatre and it's double, for if theatre doubles life, life doubles true theatre(---)It is on the stage that the union of thought, gesture and action is reconstructed. And the double of the Theatre is reality untouched by the men of today." Antonin Artaud , Letter to Jean Paulhan. 25th of january, 1936

Archive 21-12-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:31:38 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: James Hansford & Kane- Linn
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
"James Hansford in his assessment of Sarah Kane's work draws on parallels between Antonin Artaud's Theatre of Cruelty and Howard Barker's Theatre of Catastrophe" Love mer or kill me, p15

...and eh...in the same book next page the footnote is marked: Contemporary dramatists . Sorry for asking questions when having the answers just in front of me.

New question: does Hansford write something interesting about Kane and Artaud? Can't afford buying it...Personally the only thing that appeals to me is the link between Artauds vision concerning The theatre and it double and Kane becoming her art through her death. I think a lot of people are interested in Kane's suicide in a perverted way. My idea about having a theoretical approach to this matter could be one way of saving the dignity of the author in the historical context.People will write about her death a lot and it's important that all of us writing essays about her (at uni) do it in a more intelligent way than journalists do.

I hate categorizing and my first feeling towards this Artaud thing was just feeling completely bored (Kane & Artaud kindered spirits bla bla bla. In his footsteps she bla bla bla...). The following week my teacher gave me a letter he printed out from the net.It was written by Artaud to Jean Paulhan. I felt happy reading it cause it really gave me a kind of relief. While readíng it I got to the conclusion that when presenting the author in my essay there was a third alternative (besides a.being perverted and b. not write about her death at all): I will use Artauds ideas about the double and that will generate a better understanding of some artists circumstances in general.Great art is a matter of life and death. We don't want to see that other than in fancy aesthetics.And when Kane actually kills herself many people just shouts "A suicide note" and they will search for private material from her life and base their conclusions on that.If you try to speak about it some people will accuse you of romanticize selfdestructive artists.They will never even try understanding that the destruction of language has to take place in the writers body as well.Otherwise she/he would never be able to express it truthful.Great art is about truth, and bad art is by seduction that allways ends in corruption of the mind.

I say that every single life is a suicide note then. We are all preparing ourself for The Day.

Kane speaks to the future in 4.48. "Why do you believe me then and not now?" p.229 I'd never say that it is a suicide note. But I'd say that it is personal and a cry for help in the most brutal and beautiful way.Then I'd reject what I've just said and stipulate that 4.48 is pure art and that's why it fascinates, hurts and give us a sense of feeling free.

In my essay I will focus on the main theme in 4.48 -language. Language is intimately attached to birth and death in the text and I will try to make something interesting through Julia Kristevas theory about language's origin.If you want to communicate about these matters please contact me

Archive 21-12-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:31:14 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: James Hansford & Kane- LB
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:39:17 AM »
I know the one you have been recommeneded but i believe that is by Ken Urban. If you do find this article try and post it on this site. It would be great if we could open up more ref.

Archive 13-12-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:30:54 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: James Hansford & Kane- jesper madsen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:39 AM »
try this one http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/paj/23.3urban.html if you search on: Theatre of catastrophe/cruelty Barker's name comes up several times. Jesper.

Archive - 5-12-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:30:34 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

James Hansford & Kane- Linn
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:04 AM »
I´m interested in James Hansford´s discussion of Kane/Theatre of catastrophe(Barker)/Theatre of cruelty(Artaud). Where can I get it? Please, help me.

Archive 3-12-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:30:11 PM by Iain Fisher »