Author Topic: Cleansed again - Grace- Znork  (Read 7511 times)

Offline archive

Cleansed - Jade- Znork
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
hi guys,

i'm wondering if anyone can give me a hand with this. i've got an assignment on Sarah Kane's CLEANSED. i'm not very familiar with her work since i've just started my performance study and they introduced 'Cleansed' as one of the text to read. if anyone could provide me with any relefant points and information to go from in order to get started. that would be much appreciated. Thank's

Archive 26-5-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:09:21 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Cleansed again - Grace- Znork
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:55:20 AM »
I re-thought my theory... and it comes out the other way around: What is happening to two poles which are drawn together? They get closer and closer, and finally they become one, but - you can't distinguish them anymore, the two poles are gone, just the mixture of them remains. So Graham doesn't leave Grace, he ceases to exist when she becomes so much like him, that they are the same. So Grace doesn't become Graham, they both become Grace/Graham, but they are lost in themselves, no way to see the other one anymore, the two become One, and this One is left behind, on its solitary own.

Archive 26-3-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:09:02 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Cleansed again - Grace- Znork
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »
Hi there! I followed the discussions on Cleansed with great interest and have some thoughts of my own on the play. I start a new topic, because I don't know if the older threads are still being looked at.

I think the main issue about Grace is that she is in love with Graham and wants to be as close as possible to him, which means becoming one - not becoming Graham. For Graham - he doesn't die in the first scene (Kane would have written "He dies."), he moves to some sort of "other side", a spiritual form of being, maybe. So Grace has to reach the same state of being like Graham has reached, which means to nearly die, loose the own identity in order to become a shared identity with Graham. Kane always said that the violence in "Cleansed" is highly metaphorical, so i think the beating and the rape are means of killing her self. After that she seems completly tranquilized, ghost-like, she even doesn't respond to Robins death, she is sort of "gone". When she sees her stitched on genitals, she is shocked, it seems she doesn't approve to that kind of change, it's not what she wanted. Finally, Tinker and Graham leave her. Is the change completed? The final scene shows her as Grace/Graham. But still she seems alone, although she is "Safe on the other side and here." Calling Graham, the answer ist just a long silence. Is Graham gone, or did they become one? Her last words are "Help me.", she says them to Carl, who is dressed like Grace. Finally they, uhm..., hold hands :), it stops raining and the sun comes out. So in this final image we have a Grace/Graham, holding hands/stumps with a torso-like Carl, dressed as Grace. My thoughts on this are, that Grace and Graham did not become one. She reached the other side, she looks and talks like Graham, but stays alone. One of the most depressing things about extreme love is that you can't get so close to you lover that you become one. And Grace gets very close, but finally it does not work. She holds hands with someone dressed like her, a destroyed and mutilated image of her former self.

Archive 26-3-2002
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:08:43 PM by Iain Fisher »