Author Topic: Crave  (Read 7554 times)

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Crave
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »
A review by Claudia Morcroft on remotegoat, 14 Dec 2009 of the Camden People's Theatre Crave

"There is a school of thought that fringe theatre exists to present drama in it truest and rawest form and if there were ever a performance to exemplify this it is "Crave" at The Camden People's Theatre...."

"...The characters are set, symmetrically around an imposing phallus and through the device of strong chains they use this to create thought-provoking movements which symbolise their pain and entangle them, trapping them, as they speak. The actors dealt with this expertly. They clearly and consistently demonstrated the anguish in the writing without forgetting to bring out the spots of piercing humour. Clare Latham (playing "C") is an extraordinary talent with an almost ensorcelling presence. Zoe Teverson ("M") presents a beautiful frailty, while Alexander Guiney never struggles so to give "B" a well-rounded characterisation and Jerry Marwood ("A") is perfectly understated in his poignant but difficult monologues."

"...as the play progresses and the actors entwine themselves in the chains to the central post. The tension created as the piece draws to its end is magnetic. Highlighting the maypole post with light effects seemed unnecessary in an otherwise careful and astute performance; a performance which proves that theatre can be propelling, gripping and provocative with little more than stunning language, bare emotion and perfect, finely-directed acting...."

The full review is here:
www.remotegoat.co.uk/review_view.php?uid=4650

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
An interesting approach, I wish I had seen it.

fragments

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
I've just ended a production of Crave. We were 4 young women who staged it, with only a few changes in the script (such as 'him' to 'her', and 'I' to 'you'). We decided to work with it as monologues. We split the script into four monologues, and worked with them seperately with our director. I played A, so I had my own script consisting of only A's lines, and worked with it so that it could work as a whole monologue without the other characters. When we all had our seperate monologues, we began to intertwine them, like in the original script, but still keeping our own personal focuses. That way, our version of Crave is the stories of four different characters, that never really interact, or even are aware, of each others, but still form a unit and echoes each others lines and thoughts.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
Here is a clip from a Polish Crave

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2uUaOgKJ0

Iain

Offline malmo58

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:47:28 PM »
Congratulations on the success of your project and production!

Just out of interest what did 'Sarah' do in your version? Of course there'd have been scope for her to do anything apart from speak...

Best wishes for the paper.

Offline XwildeyX

Crave
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »
Heya, i've currently just finished a project on Crave. In my two years on this acting course i've never been as moved and as interested as i have been in this project.

In order to stage this play, we used improvisational techniques to come up with ideas. We all took a character and a script, and improvised staging. In the end it worked out really well, it changed the way i look at acting techniques and preparing myself. Our characters were

M - Mother
B - Boy (we used two people for this)
A - Abuser
C - child
We also had a person playing sarah kane in the background.

I must admit, i nearly pulled the plug on the whole thing, but i'm glad that i didnt in the end.

Anyway, ramble over! i was just wondering what techniques people used in order to stage this play? I'm writing a paper on devising techniques and i would love ideas! 

Thanks,
XwildeyX
 ::)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx