Author Topic: The Boy Friend  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: The Boy Friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »
From The Guardian's coverage of Barbara Windsor's career
"Windsor prepares for a scene, watched by director Ken Russell."

The article is here
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/gallery/2020/dec/11/barbara-windsor-a-life-in-pictures
with the photo credits "Photograph: Ronald Grant Archive"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:45:19 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Barbara Windsor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 12:55:10 AM »
Barbara Windsor who had a role in The Boyfriend has passed away aged 83 with Alzheimers. In her autobiography Barbara she says "When [Ken] asked me about making the Carry Ons [a series of British comedy films, she appeared in 9], I told him we never did more than a couple of takes at the most... I soon discovered that Ken can do as many as 50 takes before he is satisfied".

She went on to appear in 1562 (!) episodes of British tv soap East Enders, and was made Dame Barbara by the Queen.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:57:00 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: The Boy Friend, Twiggy, Fred Astaire
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
In an article on Twiggy she is quoted as stating "Her first job was the film The Boyfriend. Director Ken Russell screened old clips of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers backstage, which captivated Twiggy."

The article also says "When she promoted the film in LA, studio bosses asked if there was anyone in Hollywood that she'd like to meet. "I said, 'Oh, my God, I'd love to meet Fred Astaire'," she recalls. "I was about 21 and he was in his early 70s. They told me it was too difficult as he was already retired and a private man who was no longer seen around Hollywood.
 Two hours later at her hotel, the phone unexpectedly rang. "I was told, 'Twiggy, you've just been invited to tea with Mr Fred Astaire'," she says."

The article is by Kat Hopps in the Daily Express, 5 Dec 2020.  The link is here:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1368705/princess-margaret-twiggy-meet-buckingham-palace

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Boy Friend in London
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
The Boyfriend will be shown at the BFI in London on 1 March 2017.  There is an introduction by Pamela Church Gibson of the London College of Fashion, and Glenda Jackson and Georgina Hale will probably be attending.

Details are here
https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=3FBD2BCB-A6E0-43C5-9A33-A27FE4249361&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=B3CB753E-AF84-4162-AFD9-B0FF49E97C96

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Cut and uncut The Boy Friend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
Dan Ireland introduces "The Boyfriend."

"notorious MGM honcho James Aubrey reduced the US running time from 136 to 109 minutes"

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/trailers-from-hell-dan-ireland-on-ken-russells-drastically-cut-and-uncut-the-boyfriend

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: The Boy Friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
MGM Musicals Come To BFI Southbank
The Boyfriend will be shown in London's British Film Institute (BFI).  It is part of a celebration of "The wonderful world of the MGM Musical" in Nov and Dec 2011.

"Many musicals will screen in newly restored prints and there will be some very special guests and events to introduce well loved films from an age that has never been forgotten...

As a centrepiece of this season, BFI Distribution will release two of the most dazzling titles – An American in Paris (1952) and Meet Me in St Louis (1944) - nationwide and each will screen in an Extended Run at BFI Southbank. ..

The 50th anniversary release of West Side Story (1961), screening in an Extended Run at BFI Southbank from 16 September, will launch the MGM Musicals season and will also herald an ongoing tribute to the musical genre from the BFI, throughout the next three years. This instalment will conclude with a very rare outing for Ken Russell’s The Boy Friend (1971), a comic pastiche of the roaring 1920s starring Twiggy."

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Boy Friend
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »
The Boy Friend will be shown on 31 Jul 2011 at the Aero Theatre in California.  Production designer Tony Walton will be present.

For details click here
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:02:12 PM by Iain Fisher »