Author Topic: Gaudier (Savage Messiah) in London  (Read 4786 times)

Offline regal26

Re: Gaudier (Savage Messiah) in London
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »
Man...I wish I could see that...

Here's a bit of a tangent concerning Breszka and Savage Messiah: I had read H.S. Ede's book after seeing Russell's film and was very curious about Sophie Gaudier Brzeska because almost none of her correspondance is included (it's primarily Henri's letters to Sophie).

Later on, I found out that the Mercury Gallery has published a limited edition of some of
Sophie's unpublished manuscripts (including an incomplete novel 'Matka'). It was very
strange to read these writings because I could hear Dorothy Tutin's voice speaking them
all the way through (which shows Russell's spot-on casting for the film)!

You can check it out at this link here:

http://www.sophiegaudierbrzeska.co.uk/index.htm

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Gaudier (Savage Messiah) in London
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »
The Royal Academy in London have an exhibition featuring sculpture Gaudier, as in Ken's Savage Messiah.  "Over a period of 10 years from 1905 to 1915, three outstanding young sculptors emerged in Britain; Jacob Epstein, Henri Gaudier-Brzeska and Eric Gill. The radical impact of their work was to transform British sculpture.  This exhibition is the first time that the three artists have been shown together in this revolutionary context... The exhibition will contain more than 90 works including sculptures, drawings and pastels. With rooms dedicated to the work of each sculptor the exhibition will focus on the key achievements of each artist and will reveal their impact on British sculpture. The show will bring together spectacular works, including ... Gaudier’s innovative carving of Birds Erect [in Ken's film]".

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html