Author Topic: The Devils as a horror film?  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: The Devils as a horror film?
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
Lars von Trier's Antichrist (just seen it, great but don't want to see it again, it is so harrowing) is described as a horror film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antichrist_(film)

Just like The Devils it contains shocking scenes (minor compared with The Devils) but it is not part of the genre.  The Exorcist is one of the great films of all time, and it follows the genre of horror.  The Devils and Antichrist are great films, but do not fit into a genre.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
A big thank you for that. After I have digested thinking about all 100 films, I'll probably have some thoughts on the list, but in the meantime . . .

Even if you discard "The Devils," Ken still did three horror films: "Gothic," "Lair of the White Worm," and "Trapped Ashes." Ken's last theatrical film and clearly a horror film.

Thank-you again for the link.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Well, "Time Out" magazine is not the first to list "The Devils" as a horror film. Back in 1990, writer John McCarty listed "The Devils," as a horror film along with Russell's "Gothic" and "Lair of the White Worm" as being three of the fifty best horror films made in the past three decades in McCarty's "The Modern Horror Film: from 'The Curse of Frankenstein' to 'The Lair of the White Worm.'" That's three for our Ken. The only director who got more mentions was Roman Polanski, who had four of his films listed.

McCarty's book was updated some eight years later by "Tell Me When to Look: Modern Horror Films from 'The Curse of Frankenstein' to Today." As I haven't seen that one, I don't know which films have been listed and/or delisted.

And being the lazy sod that I am, do you have a web address for that issue of "Time Out?"

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Devils as a horror film?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »
Time Out magazine has voted The Devils as number 46 in best horror films.  And I have often heard it described as a horror film, but I really can't see it.

Looking at the other films: Evil Dead (41) is pure horror, as are The Exorcist, The Ring etc.  All really good.  Overall I like the list- Polanski, John Carpenter, George Romero.