Author Topic: Blood Knot  (Read 14996 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Blood Knot in North Carolina, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »
There is a workshop presentation of The Blood Knot at the Cobb Rehearsal Studio of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts on 17- 19 Nov 2011.  It is directed by Robert Francesconi.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Blood Knot in St Louis
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:26 PM »
Upstream Theater present Blood Knot from 23 Oct- 9 Nov 2008 in the Kranzberg Arts Center.  The director is Philip Boehm and the actors are J. Samuel Davis and John Pierson.

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/fugard/fugard-news.html

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Blood Knot
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »
Mary Benson writing about The Blood Knot in 1993:

"A play that never ended," is Athol Fugard's recollection, in a conversation with me in 1986, of the first performance of The Blood Knot: it went on for four hours "on a terrible little stage, only about six inches high at one end." The momentous event took place in Johannesburg in 1961 with Fugard and Zakes Mokae playing Morrie and Zach. The tiny rehearsal room of the African Music and Drama school in Dorkay House, a rundown factory in the automobile district, was packed on that suffocating summer's evening. Egg boxes were glued to one wall to shut out the noise of traffic, but through blacked-out windows on the opposite side came the beat of drums from a nearby mine compound."

The excerpt is from an article in Encounters with Fugard: native of the Karoo- Athol Fugard Issue
Twentieth Century Literature,  Winter, 1993

Later Fugard shortened the play considerably making it a normal length (about 90 minutes if my memory is correct) and renamed it Blood Knot (so without the The).  The changes consist mainly of removing long speeches which turn it into a much better play.  There is an audio available of Zakes Mokae and Athol Fugard performing the shorter work.

Iain

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Blood Knot in Zimbabwe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:30:07 AM »
Peter Churu and Isaac Mapfumo present Blood Knot at the Mannenburg Restaurant at Harareā€™s Fife Avenue Shopping Centre from 23 Jul- 2 Aug 2008.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Blood Knot
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »
That will be great!!!  I look forward to reading the contributions.

Iain
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:58:12 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Masheija

Blood Knot
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:16:10 AM »
Iam glad I came across your site on Athol Fugard. I'am a high school teacher of An Advanced level literature Class currently teaching "Blood knot".We shall be posting the best essays from class for other members comments in the course of time.I call on every visitor to keep checking on this site for their comments when we start posting our essays.Thanks.....by Masheija
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:38:40 PM by Iain Fisher »