Author Topic: "The Devils" One More Time  (Read 12132 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: "The Devils" One More Time
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
"The Devils" (1971) Ken Russell 2/23
The 2nd 5 minute segment.

005. Ken's warning not to mix politics with religion.

006. And while it expresses a number of things not complimentary to the Catholic Church, it is not entirely anti-Catholic.

007. The most anti-Catholic of his films, indeed, probably his most anti-Christian film is "Lair of the White Worm," which condemns all forms of Christianity.

008. What he could do with money. It is unfortunate that his later films did not have a larger budget.

009. He goes from strength to strength. Not only does he get good performances out of his actors, this film being one example, he is a master of foreshadowing. The end of 1/23 will foreshadow what happens toward the end of the film.

010. Unfortunately, not only did his style of filmmaking become passe, but if you look at his theatrical films, over half were set totally or partially in the past, and those films too became passe, as audiences came to prefer films set in the present.

011. And as always, his fondness of contrasting white with black can be seen in this segment.

To be continued . . .

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: "The Devils" One More Time
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »
"The Devils" (1971) Ken Russell 1/23
The 1st 5 minute segment

001. I can understand why the king is wearing a figleaf, but why is he wearing anything over his nipples? It's not like he has anything to be ashamed of in that department.

002. I noticed the blacks and cross-dressers in the audience.

003. I loved the cardinal's glasses.

004. Towards the end of the segment, that is one of the two scenes I remember from the first time I saw the film on TV. We will mention the second scene later.

To be continued . . .

Offline BoyScoutKevin

"The Devils" One More Time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
I have seen Ken's "The Devils," when it was on TV, but it has been years since I have seen it, and the only scene I remember from it is "The Bye, Bye Blackbird" scene, so it may be time to give it a second go-over. And as the complete film is on youtube . . . ? I'll give it another go and post my thoughts on it, here at this board, when I can. Until then . . .?